How much fun are 2002's?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
IS it a big deal to retrofit a Tii engine if one found a great basic 2002 candidate? I believe the other differences are brakes and boxed trailing arms. Was the steering ratio different?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the rear drums were bigger, as i think the front disks. the struts were also different. i do not think the steering box was any different. i think finding a real tii engine for a transplant w/ a working kugelfischer injection might be a real challenge. there are plenty of tii's for sale right now, although the price has been climbing ... and the quality is varied. if you were going to do a transplant into a std. 02 ... the winning scheme is to go with the s14 -

you can definitely put the other tii goodies on a standard 02, as they weren't that different. but similar to the e9, there are tiers of value - the 2002 turbo, which is expensive and rare. the tii and the 2002. this is really apparent on the value of original cars (if you can find one)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
... the winning scheme is to go with the s14 -

I think its probably easier to find a tii engine than it is to find an S14 engine. You can buy a rusty, running tii for the cost of just an S14 engine. I think the more practical setup is dropping an M20 engine in, which may take a bit more modification/fabrication but is a very nice conversion. I don't think the weight difference is a huge factor. I'll let you know when my son and I finish ours. 8)

Dan

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
OR do a built long block stroker with pistons and cam of choice with a 318i intake, 325i throttle body and Mega Squrit ll and end up with a modern fully programable Tii. Brake upgrade to Tii levels is no big deal using pick n pull for cheap or kits offered at all the usual places.

End of the day if you can find a really good Tii for fair market then you've got a great car. If you want to beat that then the number of different paths is huge and it's a case of what do you want and what are you willing to invest. Time and money. HAve a look at a poster named Pat Allen on the FAQ 2002 site. Pick and pull turbo in the 300hp range with fully programable engine.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
A tii engine retrofit into an '02 isn't terribly difficult. A fuel return line and high-pressure electric fuel pump (and a different fuel tank) need to be added. If I had a nice 02 body needing an engine and a rusted-beyond-the-pale tii, I'd certainly consider it.

Other differences between the tii and an '02 are the tiis bigger front calipers (and to host them, different struts and a different power assist booster), the boxed rear trailing arms, the larger rear wheel cylinders, the additional wiring for the cold start valve, linkage parts, the bracket to support the tii-specific air cleaner housing, and the dashboard clock. See

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component...wtopic/t,310483/highlight,tii+air+conversion/

and

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component...wtopic/t,324003/highlight,tii+air+conversion/

I'm a big believer in the "if it's your car, don't let anyone tell you what to do" school, but due to the rapidly rising value tiis, creation of faux tiis is somewhat frowned upon. You may be completely straightforward to someone if you sell a car thus modified, but the next seller may not. Folks who are not spending your money will advise "if you want a tii, BUY A TII."

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And there is nothing wrong with a 'regular' 2002....

I've had mine since 1983 and LOVE it...

9.5:1 pistons
Mechanical advance distributor w/ Pertronix
Weber 38DGAS
Urethane bushings in front.... regular in back

It is a blast to drive in the twisties.. But as others have noted - Nowhere as comfortable as the CS for daily driving....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And my favorite color! Still has original steering wheel, indicates perhaps that it has been taken care of and not modified.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The main thing is rust. It is possible that it is a rust free Canadian car....just not likely.
If I bought it, it would go straight to storage (hiding) from my wife. Just got my Miata on the road yesterday after a winter of adding Mods, then having to take them all off due to insurance company not willing to underwrite my car. Back to stock (other than the Lotus Elise seats) Boy is this car fun to drive. The Miata is an amazing car.