How does a car get to this point?

p.smitty

Reaction score
Classic

Throw on an Earl Shieb clear coat and a Febreeze air freshener............and we'll call it a survivor.​

Last edited:

e3er

Reaction score
just for sh*ts and giggles, if it were free it would be fun to strip it and sandblast every inch of the thing to see just how much good metal is left. I would suspect that the results would be predictable...!

jmackro

Reaction score
There were several lines in the ebay write-up that made me chuckle.

First off, the heading calls it a "great project". Generally in the English language, "great" means "good". And, trying to restore this poor e9 would not be good. But in thinking about it, an alternate meaning for "great" is "enormously bad", like referring to WWI as the "Great War", or the economic crisis of the 1930's as the "Great Depression".

I also liked the line: "Most of the visible rust is surface rust other than a few rot holes". Kind of like a doctor saying "the patient is doing well, other than not breathing"

Last edited:

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Hey, that's the right deal for everyone here that ever wanted a CSL-project. After sand-blasting it shouldn't get the scale north of 2500 lbs :mrgreen::shock:;-)

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
rusty the puppy...

Yes, Chris, same NY "harbor" car...same "Triumphguy" seller. I am glad that it's not $1K cheaper, and seven hours closer, as I love a stray dog...Looks like my parts car's (...0183, I think I sent you a picture of it with Murray inspecting...) twin...white, red, and auto; except mine shows much less rust; the operative word there is shows. I think Stan should buy it as a companion to his coupe...a nice contrast..
Dave V. in NC

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, yes saw the photo.

His ad says "I have been pulling this car in and out of garages and moving it from place to place for too long now and have accepted that this will not be a car I can get too."

Maybe he should have said "I have been storing my beloved coupe in the worst possible locations including at the seaport exposed to the elements for many years."

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wasn't this the coupe that was sitting under a cover in a boat yard or in a train yard? i remember seeing pictures of it before.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, Chris, same NY "harbor" car...same "Triumphguy" seller. I am glad that it's not $1K cheaper, and seven hours closer, as I love a stray dog...Looks like my parts car's (...0183, I think I sent you a picture of it with Murray inspecting...) twin...white, red, and auto; except mine shows much less rust; the operative word there is shows. I think Stan should buy it as a companion to his coupe...a nice contrast..
Dave V. in NC

Pulling it in and out of storage for routine hosing with salt water and brillo rubdown...
If it were closer, I would buy it to part it out...Bumpers, interior parts etc....

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like it spent summers on the beach at Lake Ronkoncomo(sp) on Long Island. Nice but uneven tan.

C.oupe S.hark -I -

Reaction score
I love that dirty ''patina'' if only it was west coast rust
would drive that with new engine and no hood, little worried about the vin plate, looks like its holding the whole car together

long time lurker making a first post, bm and 6 series guy, looking for his next , 3.0, 2800, 2000, or 2002, with a b35, ..... or another 6