How did it start?

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought about starting a thread of what first kindled your passion for the e9.

Mine was whilst watching an episode of the 1980’s TV series Tales of the Unexpected, often written and presented by Roald Dahl. I watched this one when it first aired in July 1982 - I was 18 at the time.

The premise was that there would be a twist at the end of the story!

An Atlantic blue 2800CS just glimpsed in the opening scene.

I doubt anyone would want to watch the whole of this very outdated 80’s show, so jump to 8:32 and then 21:08. The squeamish among you may want to look away at the end, no way to treat a lady!

https://youtu.be/V5DF6pjRt7g

I was hooked! The frantic driving probably helped:)

It took 25 years before I finally acquired my Chamonix CSI.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love Tales of the Unexpected, you could read 95% of each story and still not guess how the last few lines would change everything. The TV series was not bad.

My e9 interest is a combination of art, engineering, driving, and nostalgia in equal parts.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine was '2 pronged'.

First was seeing a 2800CS on the BMW stand in 1970 at the NY Auto Show (one of the two times I've attended that show since I moved 'east' in 1968). It was Baikal blue, as I recall, with a white interior. I had lust in my heart immediately.

Second was reading all the great Road and Track reports about the 'Neu Classe' cars from Munchen over the next few years. Bought a used 2800 CS automatic - Nachchtblau/black from a guy in Newark NJ in 1972, and after driving it about 3 years, decided the car was RIGHT, but the transmission and rear brakes weren't up to snuff for a sporty car. Sold it and bought a used '73 manual in Nachtblau/tan from a guy in Boston in '75. Drove it until the rust worms started showing their ugly faces on the outside of the front fenders. Sold it in 1980 and had MB's and Porsches from then until 2015, when I sold the '94 928 GTS.

Needed to replace it (car money can't be used for anything but another car!), and bought the current '74 that had extensive restoration and mechanical modification about 25 years ago and driven moderately since from a 'downsizing owner' in Rhode Island in May of '15. I'm about 75% complete in making it 'my car' by modifying it to my taste and standards. Decided to buy the e9, as it had been one of the most enjoyable cars I'd driven over the previous 64 years of driving.

Gary

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine was '2 pronged'.

First was seeing a 2800CS on the BMW stand in 1969 at the NY Auto Show (one of the two times I've attended that show since I moved 'east' in 1968). It was Baikal blue, as I recall, with a white interior. I had lust in my heart immediately.

Great to read Gary, I wonder who wound up with that car, or where it is today?

I have the 2800CS (2270011) that Max Hoffman showed at the west coast car shows that same year, purchased from the owner who bought it in San Francisco but had to wait to take delivery til after the Los Angeles show. Mine is baikal with black leather interior including Scheel seats...I wonder...naaahhhh

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
when i was in high school
i worked on cars all the time my first car was a 53 chevy panel truck then over time the 74 2oo2 came out
that was the car i wanted so found an absolute perfect one with the red plastic diamond on the antenna
so then it was just a matter of time till i found the same car in the 3,0cs
it was indeed perfect also
i really lucked out as it had 64k on it and two owners
perfect car to begin with. 14,500 put it on my credit cards.

gwittman

Reaction score
Beginning around 1973 I started looking for a 2002tii. My heritage is German and thought I should own a German car. BMW seemed to be the sportiest, in my price range, for me at that time. During my search I saw a 2000CS and could not get it out of my mind. I was hooked immediately. My search changed to a 2000CS. I eventually found a 67 and bought it. It was my daily driver for around five years.
I then decided I wanted more power and the search came on again for a 2800CS or a 3.0CS. I searched long and hard and could not find one that was not rusted out. I sold my 2000CS and still had no idea where to get the next one. I finally found a 70 2800CS in the LA area that had a solid body and everything was in good condition but the tan leather. The car had been repainted because someone had keyed it really bad. He had a bad habit of taking up two parking spaces to avoid door dings. Someone took exception to that and did the damage. It was originally Baikal and asked to have it repainted the same color. The painter took it on himself to paint it this really bright Chevy metallic blue. When he went to pick it up he complained. The painter told him to take it and drive it awhile, if he still did not like it he would repaint it. He said the color grew on him and decide to keep it that way.
I wanted the car but did not like the color. He was asking $8,000 but I offered him $6500 for it because I knew I would have it repainted. He was not willing to go that low. I gave him my phone number and got in my car and went home. About six months later he called me right before Christmas of 79 and asked if I was still interested. I said yes at the price I offered. He still wanted more but decided it was a good enough offer since no one else was making offers. So, Merry Christmas to me.
It was originally a Hoffman sale. It did not have a sunroof and the original owner wanted an electric sunroof. Hoffman had an electric American Sunroof installed. I was told that added about $3,000 to the selling price. That is a mighty expensive option if it is true. The original owner only kept it for 3 years.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm a BMW guy to the core, have been since 8 years old when I saw the Alexander Calder CSL at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh at a Calder Retrospective exhibit in 1976/1977, this was back when it was just a painted race car and nothing more than that.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My sophmore year at Tulane circa 1982 I was walking up St. Charles Avenue en route to my usual eating establishment Camellia Grill. A dark blue 2800cs drove past me and I stopped in my tracks. Fortunately I had the sense to run out in the street to get the name of this amazing creature. I then went to the bookstore and bought the Illustrated BMW Buyers Guide to see what the hell it was. 2 years later when I got my first job I bought one, leveraged to the hilt, a Malaga 3.0cs 2240521 from a lawyer in Jacksonville FL. Drove it every day for 3 years before selling to get married etc. and had dreams and nightmares for years until I was able to get my wife's blessing on my current one in 2010 after kids were on track. Best irresponsible move I've ever made.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was out jogging on Queen Ann Hill in Seattle during my summer break after my freshman year at Gonzaga. I came around a corner and right in front of me was the most beautiful and cool car I'd ever seen. I never stop while I'm in the middle of a run but I did for that car. I looked inside and stared at the wood, leather, and chrome. I was in love! It was Fjord, so that was color I had to have.

I had to wait almost 20 years but I bought mine when I was 38. My first BMW. 14 years later we've had 11 BMWs (currently have 5). Of course, I still have the coupe- it will always be my favorite.

Honolulu

Reaction score
A coupe appears in the first several seconds of the "Tales of the Unexpected" TV show, at lower right of the screen.

I went through 7 VWs, then one day, unemployed but knowing that BMW's had it going on, bought a '70 2002a with hand controls (sellers was mobility impaired but knew how to take my dough). One car led to another and after 10 2002's, I saw an ad for a 3.0CS and went to see it with the wife. Wasn't really intending to buy, but had to see the car, which was in good shape with immaculate Baikal paint. It had just come from CA and the owner was selling phones and time - this was in about '85 or so. He needed money. Wife preferred the Buick (didn't meet her). I made an offer about $1000 less than his asking and after a moment he announced "I'll take it". Had to give the dough in two checks. He delivered the car and papers to my workplace but left with the key in his pocket. A frantic call brought him back.

I've had 15 2002's including '72 and '74 tii's, a '79 euro 635 CSi with close ratio box, two E12 528i (parts cars, one for the 4speed and the second for the 5speed), one 2500 sedan, wife's Bavaria, an '02 325xi, '90 E30 325i, and the 3.0CS which I have kept despite (or because of) all the others. Driven a '95 540 6-speed in light rain at 115, driven an '88 M6 (very briefly). Still watching for another 2002, I know 4 peeps with them but they are holding on, even my "good friend" with the immobile (15 years now) Inka '02 in his carport, hidden under all his other cr*p. I'll get through him yet!

Wladek

Reaction score
Couple years ago i wanted to purchase my dream car - BMW E31 850CSI (never wanted to have just regular E31 like 840Ci, 850i, 850Ci) but the guy who was selling 850CSI here in Poland after serious talk didn't wanted to lower the price (even for 100 EUR from 30k). He just told me that he can lower the price (for 700 EUR) if i buy the car without original M-tech wheels, so i told him to screw himself and started to looking for another 850CSI's, but there were no other at reasonable price and good condition. After a couple months prices for 850CSI began to increase in value very much (so began to be out of my financial reach).
And then i began to think why not to go with classic car, which i also always wanted to have. At first was thinking of MB W113 280SL Pagode. But then saw announcement of nice fjord e9 3.0CSI for high money over 50k (car was after full renovation). At that time i told to myself i see myself driving something like that and can do better renovation. So started the searching of e9 at reasonable price, most of them were 2800CS, some 3.0CS and all of them disappeared pretty quickly. So i knew that i don't have much time. After couple weeks of searching a little bit accidentally i found ebay auction with 3.0CSI project, next day auction was ended and luckily i was the winner, after a week car was in my garage (came from Germany).

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bmachine - great proof reading!!! Corrected the third digit to a 7. Bought the 2800 CS in 1972!!!

Gary-
;-)

Seriously now, this probably makes you one of the earliest owners of a coupe on this board. That should be some record to keep track of. Very impressive!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I was a younger man, I worked at a BMW (and Mazda) dealership in Crystal Lake, Illinois. I worked in the shop, but was not a BMW technician. But during my several years there, I was able to drive MANY cars. This was the late 80's and early 90's. I drove countless new models available at the time (including E30 M3s, even a lightweight). But also a lot of "used" cars. The GM kept a 635CSi, and other older cars came through the shop doors periodically. Several 2002's stood out, as did some E12 5 series cars that had 300k and 400k miles on them - I thought that was so cool. But the one chassis that I'd never seen at the dealership was an e9. I'd seen them in pictures, and thought they were art on wheels. I waited for someone to bring one in, but it never happened there. So the e9 originally became a unicorn for me simply for the reason that I wasn't able to drive/experience one at the dealership.

Fast forward - after enjoying several older BMW's over the years, I finally decided that I wanted to find my dream car. I looked at 2002's for a long time - because I like them but also because I perceived them as more my price point. But an e9 was what I really wanted. After many near misses with '02 purchases, I finally pulled the trigger on the unicorn (a very rough 3.0 CS that will require some serious love to rescue).

Coincidentally, while I procrastinate with working on the coupe, I regularly stalk 2002 roundie auctions...

Last edited:

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stepfather came home one day in 1969 with a brand new 2002 ( automatic, well, what are you gonna do.) BMW? British Motor Works? Never heard of them? My experience with driving as a teenager was with GenFoSlers of the day (no difference among them except the shape of the sheet metal (still isn't)), all wallowing land yachts that moved up/down/sideways even when stopped. The 2002's driving experience changed my life forever. Saw a 2800CS in Car and Driver, and just fell down and prayed to the driving car gods. As good as the 2002 was, the 2800CS had to drive just as well, with that wonderful in-line 6, those leather seats, the beautiful, timeless, forever classic style, the 2800CS was the car of my dreams. Didn't get one until 1999. I still just stop at look at it every day and thank my lucky stars. It will be mine forever.

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
A very nice thread indeed. During my childhood. My father owned an E21 BMW 320 in Sapphire Blue 4 speed manual. It was a 70´s car for sure. I was too young to know the year. Then he replaced it with an 80´s E21 320is in Polaris Silver in automatic with air conditioning. Then he got an E23 730i in Burgundy red with a tan interior. During this period I was always paying attention to different BMW´s that were being driven. I got to see my first 2002 in colorado orange with the round tail lights. Shortly after it was a square tail light 2002 in Polaris silver. A lot of people would install the Webber carbs on them and rear central exhaust. There were many E24 6 series in the city that I lived in back then which I actually liked a lot. The car that stood out from the mentioned models and made me go "wow", and one day I would like to own one was the E9 that I first saw in Fjord Blue. Shortly after that I saw a Taiga green with the tan interior which reaffirmed the "wow" factor for me.

I have owned classic cars in the past. A 68 Beetle, 69 Mustang, and a 74 Challenger with a 340 ci. in it. The car that stayed in my thoughts for many years until I happened to come across it last year was the E9. It was a long journey to get here. From what I understand it had 3 owners prior to me. The previous owner was a german car hobbyist who drove it around on the island of Ibiza for a few years. He did some moderate upgrades like changes the AC system to R134, and a full stainless steel exhaust and headers. He also had a brown Bavaria which he sold a week prior to me purchasing the 3.0CS. The owner prior to him was a Spaniard that was in a car club association. I know this because I have his association card with the picture of how the car was. He had the big front round fog lights mounted on (the lower part) of the front bumper, plus some side black "ugly" plastic trim along the whole side to protect from door dings. The work that this owner did was paint the car, not a very good paint job, and he redid the motor. No information on the 1st owner unfortunately.

It has taken me a whole year to clean the rust and get the body painted. I have sourced all of the parts from many suppliers all over the world. I painted it back to the same original Fjord metallic blue that I love. It has a blue vinyl interior in that is in an excellent shape, that I intend to sell once I upgrade to beige leather interior. I will post all the parts (with pictures) that I won't need once the car is finished. It will be an interesting and extensive list. I will always give this forum the priority in terms of choice for parts that are needed. This is to help those who helped me along the way with their great advice, plus to make sure that we keep these beauties running. What I don't sell here, will be posted in Ebay.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Great footage really loved watching it.

Nice to see that already back then on a cold cloudy day they drove the coupe only with the drivers window open. Further more notice how the wippers are working when he decides to get away from the cops. The driver probably also didn't know that BMW switched indicator and wipper positions.

Petty they had to crash it though.

uter

Site Donor
Reaction score
My sophmore year at Tulane circa 1982 I was walking up St. Charles Avenue en route to my usual eating establishment Camellia Grill. A dark blue 2800cs drove past me and I stopped in my tracks. Fortunately I had the sense to run out in the street to get the name of this amazing creature. I then went to the bookstore and bought the Illustrated BMW Buyers Guide to see what the hell it was. 2 years later when I got my first job I bought one, leveraged to the hilt, a Malaga 3.0cs 2240521 from a lawyer in Jacksonville FL. Drove it every day for 3 years before selling to get married etc. and had dreams and nightmares for years until I was able to get my wife's blessing on my current one in 2010 after kids were on track. Best irresponsible move I've ever made.

[thread resurrection]
Stevehose, there was a Nachtblau E9 that lived on Octavia, just off of St. Charles Avenue (lake side) in the 80's that I walked past each day when going to school over on Jefferson Ave. I loved looking at that car.