How can this be fixed...?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
See the unevenness of the protective rubber strip on the bumper? A fair number of cars seem to have this and I'm wondering what it takes to fix? How is the rubber piece attached to the bumper?
IMG_9353.JPG

MMercury

Reaction score
See the unevenness of the protective rubber strip on the bumper? A fair number of cars seem to have this and I'm wondering what it takes to fix? How is the rubber piece attached to the bumper?
25.png

A metal strip (probably no. 21) sits within a channel inside the rubber (no. 22) The metal strip is riveted to the bumper. To a certain degree, the metal strip acts as a backbone for the rubber.

The rubber can be deformed if the metal strip is displaced from the channel. Rubber deformation can also occur if the metal strip or the rivets attaching it to the bumper is/are bent, broken or corroded. Deformation can also occur if the internal pre-formed channel inside the rubber is broken so that it no longer retains the metal skeletal strip. All of these things can occur after minor contact with other objects (parking mishaps). Taking the pieces apart can sometimes reform things.

Unfortunately, old (less-than-pliable) rubber can harden in the malformed state. Also, the metal strip can rust and/or some of the rivets can break or rust, making reformation of the rubber piece impossible without replacing the metal retention strip and rivets. There are several workarounds at which most purists would scoff.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I rechromed my bumpers I took the metal strip and had it powder coated then reinstalled with rivets as original, then bought new rubber. It is the only way to go IMHO.

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bumper Strips

Rust, at least that's what was causing the deformation on my bump strips on my car.

Doug

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Alot of times I may not know how to fix....but I do know with $$$ anything can be fixed, worth it or not.
Sometimes, I just tell myself that it adds character to the car....and it makes me happier and less poor.
abe

jmackro

Reaction score
Luis:

The metal strips that hold the rubber to the bumper are available new from Mobile Tradition. I think they are about $35 apiece, though my memory may be vague on this. You will need to drill holes in the strips to match the holes in your bumper.

As Chris says, treat your new strips with paint or powder to prevent future rust - the factory seem to have left them as raw steel.

I succeeded in mounting my old rubber to the new strips. The job is easy until I had to tuck the two outer ends into the bumper triangular cut-outs.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Alot of times I may not know how to fix....but I do know with $$$ anything can be fixed, worth it or not.
Sometimes, I just tell myself that it adds character to the car....and it makes me happier and less poor.
abe

Here, here!

Just keep telling yourself that, Abe....

cashwallet.gif

Cheers!

Ran