Hood Torsion Bar

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever replaced the hood torsion bar themselves? Mine tore apart in Janauary and I bought a new one from BMW, just painted it yesterday, and can't get it in. The arms are in the wrong configuration, almost as if it would pull the hood closed if it could. See the pic where the arms are pointed in different directions.

CIMG3749.JPG

This is a view of the passenger side arm.

CIMG3747.JPG

The end caps can pull right off but they only go on in one direction. Thanks

bengal taiga

Reaction score
HB Chris said:
Has anyone here ever replaced the hood torsion bar themselves?

I have struggled with this issue more than a few times. Unfortunately I do not have any definitive advice as I generally try to have a live example from which to mimic or a diagram or a photo.

A couple of thoughts. Is it possible you have the bar 180 degrees off? Meaning, can you flip it end over end? As you describe it, maybe that is your problem.

If you can, or if you have not done this, carefully reinstall or at least reconfigure the original replaced part and this may turn the lightbulb on for you. Its daunting until you figure it out and then it seems embarrassingly simple. Assuming you have the hood installed, you are of course aware that the arms are under tension when you bolt things up. Is it possible you are misjudging the tensioned movement of the arms as non-movement?

It is certainly not impossible to do it by your lonesome but you risk a few scratches if you are not careful or if you are easily frustrated. I am sorry I can't offer more since I am unable to fully view your pictures on this borrowed laptop.

Good luck!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, the ends can only install with the two bolts on each cap facing down. Also, in the new one the rod fits directly in a slot (6 o'clock position) in the end cap but on the old one the cap allows the rod to face at an 8 o'clock position.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
HB Chris said:
Thanks, the ends can only install with the two bolts on each cap facing down. Also, in the new one the rod fits directly in a slot (6 o'clock position) in the end cap but on the old one the cap allows the rod to face at an 8 o'clock position.

When I meant flip the bar, I meant switch ends. The analogy being similar to attaching a doll legs backwards vs forward. On an anatomically correct model, the knees bend only one direction.

FWIW, maybe this will clarify.

26.png