highway danger

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While the coupe lives in the garage almost always these days, I drive my daily car quite a bit for work. I am on the highway going 200 to 500 miles round trip pretty often. This week included three days of travel, and unfortunately the highway was not kind to my M3. I ended up behind an extremely long conveyor belt type of machinery that was being towed. Must have been 70 feet long. I was trapped behind it on a single lane, full speed ramp that connected two highways, and discovered it was dropping little bits of stone or concrete whenever it hit a bump. I didn't really realize it until it was too late. I thought a might have heard something hit the front of the car, and I was relieved it didn't hit the windshield (three chips last year alone). But when I arrived at my destination I discovered I had a new grille badge of sorts - a stone chip lodged in the lower screen. And the drivers side fog lamp didn't escape injury, either. This was an expensive three days of driving. Please be careful out there - especially with a car that is more classic than this 20 year old e36... 20180801-hwy damage-01.jpg 20180801-hwy damage-02.jpg 20180802-hwy damage-03.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Increase your following distance to all trucks and trailers.
Yes, I am sure you are right. But there comes a point where traffic and an interest in getting to where I'm going suggests you can't stay an eighth mile back from everyone. ;)

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure. So I back off and let a couple cars be the buffer between me and big trucks with dirty loads or construction equipment, pickup trucks with overflowing loads in their beds, etc. I also will give way so I am not side by side with a semi as I’ve seen the damage done when a retread let’s go. I don’t mind being 3-4 cara further back in a long line of cars to stay away from potential mishaps.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sure. So I back off and let a couple cars be the buffer between me and big trucks with dirty loads or construction equipment, pickup trucks with overflowing loads in their beds, etc. I also will give way so I am not side by side with a semi as I’ve seen the damage done when a retread let’s go. I don’t mind being 3-4 cara further back in a long line of cars to stay away from potential mishaps.
Words of wisdom, John. I'll have to work on that - perhaps therapy is in order. I tend to drive that car as if I were on a track. If I am not passing, I am losing ground. :eek: