Hey, widen your horizons, Buy my Corvair

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Such an American Beauty (IMHO).Barely a nibble. Gonna sell my 2002 in October....standby. Making room for 20 motorcycles.

dbower

Reaction score
I learned to drive in one of these. I still have a soft spot for them. Wish I had room for it. $3K seems like a steal. When I bought my first 2002, I remember my dad commenting that it looked like a Corvair but without the style.

Don

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I love these. I remember my uncle correcting the steering/suspension engineering on his a few years ago. Wasn't very difficult or expensive. He always insists they could have changed the styling of US cars for generations.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Decades ago when I worked in a muscle car shop, we had a customer with a Fitch Sprint Corvair. It was just like yours, but with a few improvements. The customer was in his eighties and really had a lead foot. One time when he was headed to Cape Cod his wife woke up from a snooze and was alarmed at how fast he was going. He pointed at the tachometer and said "I am only going 55 dear".

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance with a Fitch Sprint, as well as a Yenko Stinger plus one he calls a Ringer (Corvair track car) Was the mayor of the town my car was built in too.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh man, I had a '64 given to me as a graduation present in 1970, when Ralph Nader's condemnation was fresh in everyone's minds, including the girls I tried to (unsuccessfully) impress (they liked GTOs.) Most unreliable car I ever had (muffler fell out on a date, of course.) The rear sway bar was GM's fix for the handling problem: a metal bar between the rear wheels, attached to the engine support in the middle, and on either end with a bolt to the swing arm. The bolts broke all the time, rendering the car un-moveable (happened on other dates.) Cylinder head gaskets blew, causing oil gushers. Chewed teeth off fly-wheel. And much more, all when I knew nothing about cars and was at the mercy of mechanics for repairs. But I wish I still had that car!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold....after 35 years of neglect and care. The new owner is a good guy who has the skillset to complete the car. Might end up buying it back when I am in my 70's, but probably not.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats on the sale. I've learned that there are two or three people in my general neighborhood who have and restore Corvairs. Very cool cars - I was telling my wife we could be the next Corvair people in the neighborhood if I bought your car. Glad that temptation has been removed.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats on the sale. I've learned that there are two or three people in my general neighborhood who have and restore Corvairs. Very cool cars - I was telling my wife we could be the next Corvair people in the neighborhood if I bought your car. Glad that temptation has been removed.
There are two beauties on BaT. One a red convertible with a new white top. The other, a rare bird, a silver station wagon! with aftermarket ac. Take a look.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quite a few eventful dates for a car that did not impress girls... I guess you found other ways to impress them.

Oh man, I had a '64 given to me as a graduation present in 1970, when Ralph Nader's condemnation was fresh in everyone's minds, including the girls I tried to (unsuccessfully) impress (they liked GTOs.) Most unreliable car I ever had (muffler fell out on a date, of course.) The rear sway bar was GM's fix for the handling problem: a metal bar between the rear wheels, attached to the engine support in the middle, and on either end with a bolt to the swing arm. The bolts broke all the time, rendering the car un-moveable (happened on other dates.) ...

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In 2014 I drove my coupe from Atlanta to Ofest in Colorado. I have family in Colorado so when Ofest was over I visited a few cousins. On the way back to Denver I came down Highway 40 over Berthoud Pass at 11,000 feet. I stopped in the lot at the top to take a few photos as I had come over this pass many, many times as a child.
There was a guy there who took an interest in my car and proceeded to tell me all about BMW copying the Corvair to design the Coupes. He was very sure of his info and I just said ok but that I really doubted his information. Anybody else ever heard this?
I too drove one of these as a teenager. My parents had it and I got caught driving it without a license.

Attachments

• IMG_5713.jpg
    IMG_5713.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 203

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In 2014 I drove my coupe from Atlanta to Ofest in Colorado. I have family in Colorado so when Ofest was over I visited a few cousins. On the way back to Denver I came down Highway 40 over Berthoud Pass at 11,000 feet. I stopped in the lot at the top to take a few photos as I had come over this pass many, many times as a child.
There was a guy there who took an interest in my car and proceeded to tell me all about BMW copying the Corvair to design the Coupes. He was very sure of his info and I just said ok but that I really doubted his information. Anybody else ever heard this?
I too drove one of these as a teenager. My parents had it and I got caught driving it without a license.
The altitude was playing games with his brain.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is the thesis on the Corvair design language influencing the world's auto Mfgs.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
After a long delay, I received a photo of my long held Corvair being driven away on a trailer . I gotta say, loaded down with weight, that Corvair is one beautiful car. My pack rat mentality has not abated however and I have switched all my interests lately to motorcycles. Picking up a 1984 Honda VF500f Interceptor tomorrow in Quebec City and perhaps a 1984 Kawasaki GPZ 550 to round out my quick growing collection of motorcycles. The Corvair will pay for both. They are much easier to hide!!

Attachments

• 20190923_170059.jpg
    20190923_170059.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited: