Help needed!

Numair

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a couple of questions and hope you guys can help.

I have bought a 1972 3.0CS and the car has a leaking master cylinder. I am toying with the idea of upgrading the braking system to one of a later car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what system would more or less bolt on?

I am also planning on changing the springs and shocks, again does anyone have any suggestions on what after market items would be best suited to the E9.

And finally, how can I obtain some more info on my particular car, i.e what spec it left the factory with etc.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Numair

Numair

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a couple of questions and hope you guys can help.

I have bought a 1972 3.0CS and the car has a leaking master cylinder. I am toying with the idea of upgrading the braking system to one of a later car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what system would more or less bolt on?

I am also planning on changing the springs and shocks, again does anyone have any suggestions on what after market items would be best suited to the E9.

And finally, how can I obtain some more info on my particular car, i.e what spec it left the factory with etc.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Numair

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Numair said:
1972 3.0CS [with] leaking master cylinder. I am toying with the idea of upgrading the braking system to one of a later car. Anyone have any suggestions as to what system would more or less bolt on?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Numair

How much later do you want to go? ABS? Are you planning on racing your car? Making a Bat-clone? Look to the racing versions if that is your game plan. There are well known aftermarket brake manufacturers that can accommodate these things. FWIW, E3, E12, E24 are other models that share some basic components, but there are differences.

Unless your car is modified, you should be able to find how your car was originally equipped with the help of a vin and by looking at Realoem. Search this site and you will find several discussions of upgraded brakes. To many, the original braking system, when properly maintained, is more than adequate for most driving conditions. I have not taken a vote and many might honestly disagree considering the myriad of driving styles and conditions any given car might encounter. If you have not driven your car with a decent master cylinder, I would encourage you to fix it and experience the braking (for better or worse) before going further.

Seriously, read through the archives and the various project pages since there is a wealth of information that may answer your questions here and those that inevitably follow. This includes your question about springs and suspension alternatives.

Hth!

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Numair said:
1972 3.0CS [with] leaking master cylinder. I am toying with the idea of upgrading the braking system to one of a later car. Anyone have any suggestions as to what system would more or less bolt on?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Numair

How much later do you want to go? ABS? Are you planning on racing your car? Making a Bat-clone? Look to the racing versions if that is your game plan. There are well known aftermarket brake manufacturers that can accommodate these things. FWIW, E3, E12, E24 are other models that share some basic components, but there are differences.

Unless your car is modified, you should be able to find how your car was originally equipped with the help of a vin and by looking at Realoem. Search this site and you will find several discussions of upgraded brakes. To many, the original braking system, when properly maintained, is more than adequate for most driving conditions. I have not taken a vote and many might honestly disagree considering the myriad of driving styles and conditions any given car might encounter. If you have not driven your car with a decent master cylinder, I would encourage you to fix it and experience the braking (for better or worse) before going further.

Seriously, read through the archives and the various project pages since there is a wealth of information that may answer your questions here and those that inevitably follow. This includes your question about springs and suspension alternatives.

Hth!

Stefan

Reaction score
Well, as bengal taiga wrote:
First you must decide what amount of money you are going to spend.
The second what is what you really could call your car after you "modernized" it. Or is it afterwards more of an E24 actually, or some kind of bastard!!

Regarding the master brake cylinder: There are a lot of used cylinders from E3, Volvo etc. that's fit for a small amount of money. The stock brakes are good enough for standard driving!!! (I was also suspicious for myself when restoring..)

Regarding the history: there is a lot of posts in this forum about that. But remember this when you post the mail to this person at bmw...
Be kind (almost a**licking) and you will have your cars manufacturing history the day after. Otherwise never!!!

Stefan

Reaction score
Well, as bengal taiga wrote:
First you must decide what amount of money you are going to spend.
The second what is what you really could call your car after you "modernized" it. Or is it afterwards more of an E24 actually, or some kind of bastard!!

Regarding the master brake cylinder: There are a lot of used cylinders from E3, Volvo etc. that's fit for a small amount of money. The stock brakes are good enough for standard driving!!! (I was also suspicious for myself when restoring..)

Regarding the history: there is a lot of posts in this forum about that. But remember this when you post the mail to this person at bmw...
Be kind (almost a**licking) and you will have your cars manufacturing history the day after. Otherwise never!!!