hello - hopefully a new owner soon

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All, my name's Drew and I'm looking to buy a city pack CSL. I've no photos to share right now, but I'll keep you posted.

interested on views on DIY maintenance on what is now a very expensive and collectible car. I've previously owned a 635CSi (an early E12 based car) and did all the work on it myself, including renewing clutch and prop, replacing the metal fuel lines, rebuilding the brake calipers, top end engine rebuild, etc.

An E9 is mechanically very similar to an E12/E24, but very different in terms of market and value. How much should I care about that??!

thoughts?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like your know your eay arpund stuff. One remaining question is; How are your welding skills /outsourcing budget vs the rust condition?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G800F met Tapatalk

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have zero welding skills!! My concept is to buy a car which does not require any welding or bodywork in the short or medium term, and take it from there. Any welding needed down the line would be done by a garage as I don't have the artistic talent for that, and I'd want to ensure any work was done was safe and up to scratch.

On more basic spanner work, DIY was the intent, but is that common/ recommended in the E9 world?

re budget, yes all things cost and rebuilding a tea-bagged E9 is an expensive business. I saw a very "project" E9 go for auction with Historics at Brooklands recently, ~£60k inc. premium, which would need the same again (in my not so experienced opinion) in restoration £. My intent is not to do that, either DIY or outsourced.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
If we're only talking regular maintenance, I'd say it's no problem to do it yourself as long as you know that you are up to it and feel comfortable with it, they are quite easy cars to deal with, mechanically speaking.
A restoration involving bodywork/interior/details is a whole other thing with a CSL where you would benefit from having everything done the right way, and that is hard if you are new to e9s.