headrest

steve in reno

Reaction score
I am going to order the seat post hole cover from WN.
2 options.....10 mm shaft....or 12 mm shaft
Car is at sfdon's.
early 1970 2800cs
which size do i have?????

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No size listed in parts book but 2800 had the 10mm, 3.0CS 12mm I believe.

Yeah the early cars are smaller.

35408159095_2733c61323_b.jpg

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine are stuck in the down position and I would like to get them to move up at least a couple inches because I think they look cool. Any ideas on how to get that done? I have asked several repair people about this all to no avail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they are rusted into the sleeves. you can dry to drop some pbblaster or some type of rusty bolt assistance into the sleeve. you have to be careful not to stain the seats. the only other way i know is to disassemble the seat - take off the back

steve in reno

Reaction score
I also thought they are 10 mm.
I have had mine off before. They are not just a cover. the center has a shaft that protrudes down into the seat material, with the HR shaft sliding thru the center.. If memory serves me.

I think they are chromed plastic because they scratch very easy........when you finally get your HR out you'll see.
  • ;)
Mine had no stops to keep HR from coming out. But it wasn't easy.

Thanks for the help

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a '74, and the headrest posts are 12 mm. Both of mine were also corroded and immovable. I wanted to reupholster the seats, so had to get them removed.

I sprayed some Kroil Penephite (best penetrating product I've ever found) down the holes every day for about 2 weeks. Both sides of one seat came free with a good bit of hitting etc. to get it un-fused. The other one would not. I found a replacement set of 12 mm posts, so I could destroy the one that was stuck. I cut it where it where the plastic piece beside the headrest is located so it was now in two pieces. I could 'twist' each post that way, and sure enough with some aggressive twisting action both posts came free. It took quite a bit of twisting and pulling pushing the posts up and down to get them fully out.

Good luck, hope yours comes loose like my first one did!

Gary

steve in reno

Reaction score
Early in the forums existence there was a similar posting where a member related hanging the seat from a tree by the HR and pulling, pushing and OTHER to get the shafts to release.
Mine were a bitch also, but after the release in 1984 has not happened again. A happy story!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure about all model years, but taking the back upholstered piece off of mine only reveals a hard and fairly thick fiberglass panel. No access to the vertical shafts there.

Gary

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure about all model years, but taking the back upholstered piece off of mine only reveals a hard and fairly thick fiberglass panel. No access to the vertical shafts there.

Gary

And about a million rivets to drill out to go deeper, if I remember correctly?