Headliner and rear view mirror

Glanceb

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It been a while since I have posted anything, but I have been reading threads every day, a truly great site and a great first coffee in work morning read.

I have two questions that I am hoping you might be able to help me with.

1: Could sombody post a picture of the rear view mirror as it fixes into the headliner, I am certain I am missing some cover plate as there is a patch to fix something to and I noticed on Jabberjaw that there was a cover plate in one of the photos?

2: As with most coupes my headliner is cream, can it be painted/sprayed black and what is the best way of doing this?

Many thanks,

Glanceb

MMercury

Reaction score
I am certain I am missing some cover plate as there is a patch to fix something to and I noticed on Jabberjaw that there was a cover plate in one of the photos?

Having just driven an sunroof-free version, I am not aware of any specific "patch" near the rearview mirror. The mirror fits flush against the headliner and from outward appearance, is little different than fitment on an E3, 02, E21, etc. Unless the plate has something to do with a sunroof access, best I can think of is the so-called "baseplate" between the mirror and the roof as depicted below: "no 2." baseplate? pn 51161817122 ???

Is your car equipped with sunroof? Where is the interior dome light positioned? (above the driver's door or directly next to rear view mirror?) Could you be describing a disguised repair in the headliner or evidence of previously installed device? Picture?

hth

36.png
27.png
32.png

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The base of the mirror sits directly against the headliner. The mounting plate is behind the headliner, screwed to the roof frame. In the photo you can see the impression left by the integral flange on the end of the mirror shaft.

Perhaps you have an aftermarket mirror? or the headliner was torn and covering plate added to cover the damage?

Attachments

• FrontHeadliner.jpg
    FrontHeadliner.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 127

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC, World Upholstery has a spray dye (or paint) which matches the color of the headliner. They can send you samples of different colors. The stuff works very well, having used it myself. Be sure to clean the liner before you re-spray it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Aren't the headliners white or maybe off-white? They turn yellow or cream over time, even faster if the owner smoked!

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
World Uph. has dye for the original color....maybe even aged-yellow with/without smokers' tinge? I didn't ask for that. The off-white color is what I used and it looks as good as the new liners I have seen.