Headlamp Replacement

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I ordered four new sealed beams from BMW; any tricks to replacing them or is it pretty straightforward? Thanks.

jamesw

Reaction score
Good question! I just ordered 4 replacement halogen lamps and need to do the same thing. Is there an easy way to get to the 3 small bolts that hold each lamp into its bucket?

Cheers
James

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm assuming removal of the left and right grilles, along with the two plastic-knobbed access hatches above each pair of lights.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Len,

US sealed beams or halogen Hellas, Bosch, Cibie, etc? You don't need to order sealed beams from the dealer.

Chris

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i would order hella halogen fixtures + bulbs - huge difference in lighting. its not xenon bright ... but much better than standard sealed beam.

jmackro

Reaction score
i would order hella halogen fixtures + bulbs - huge difference in lighting. its not xenon bright ... but much better than standard sealed beam.

And while you're in there: Improve the grounds! Even just cleaning (with sandpaper) the surface where the ringlugs mount will make a difference.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Standard US halogen sealed beam is H5006 for low beam and H5001 for hi beam, less than $15 each at any auto parts store.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, while I'm in there, I was wondering if I can get to the hood roundel by removing the center grille?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
absolutely. there are 4 nuts on the back side of the grille. comes right off and you have good access to the underside of the roundel mounts.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
When removing the center grill pre-soak the s**t out of the nuts with a good lubricant like PB Blaster or Kroil oil 'cause they snap off way too easy.