Header fitment

Mario L.

Reaction score
Folks,
We're building a modified 3.5 liter, and need to source some headers...
Ireland's stuff interferes with the frame rail
Schneidman is the same design
Bav Auto no longer lists theirs
The Stahl design IRC in my ancient mind thinks these are inter-changable from E28 chassis to E9 chassis?

I'm considering the Supersprint header for this build.... and it is made for the E24 E28 chassis . . can anyone confirm?

Mario L.

bdigel

Reaction score
there is some sort of difference between the earlier cars IE e12, e9 earlier e24's than the e28 cars as far as headers go , however if I remember correctly you were able to install the later style headers in to the early cars . There was some sort of clearance issue with the different suspension that would interfere with putting the early headers into the later cars . The details are fuzzy , but that's how I think the scenario went ?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario, I have a set of long tube headers. They are, as best I can tell, copies of Stahls I believe they are the ones that Bavarian Auto used to sell. They came from an e12. Some minor surface rust but no bottom dents. I also have another set brand unknown they are also long tube headers but need restoration work. PM me if interested. I will only sell one set or the other,

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mario, if it helps to jog your memory, you installed Stahl headers on my 3.5 liter.
Attached to stock muffler.
I do not know if you needed to modify the exhaust system to mate up with the headers.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario, have you looked at fritzbits? They have a couple of options for m30 headers including rhd which doesn't help you.

Here is their sight http://www.fritzsbits.co.uk/exhausts-manifolds

I have e34 Alpina headers which fit within the frame rail but did interfere with the motor mount which we modified. I mention this because fritzbits does offer an e34 header which isn't terribly expensive and might fit without having to modify the motor mount.

I hope this helps.
IMG_7894.JPG
IMG_7895.JPG
IMG_7896.JPG

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know the final outcome of Mario’s project? Did he try the newer IE headers or ....?

John

Mario L.

Reaction score
For the project I used a set of e34 535i headers a that required modification to clear the CS Coupe steering linkage. we then added to this a custom built 2.25" exhaust with twin resonators and 3" exit and rear muffler, awesome tone and fitment.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Mario ... sounds cool, you gonna leave us hanging ... pictures please ... we would love to see some of your cool work.

Mario L.

Reaction score
yup, going to have to leave you all hanging, ;):)o_O as we took no pictures of the final exhaust. It was all mandrel bent elbows, sections of mitered pieces and rest assured very expensive. But you're all welcome to walk thru the front door and see our work!

Mario L.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
STAN!, What's happening on Saturday?

What started my interest in this thread: while I'm a life long fan/user of Stahl headers, they just don't look right with on an Alpina motor.

I know I'll never ever find a set of usable E9 Alpina headers, but those IE manifolds sort look the part.
I'd get a set if I knew Mario could adapt them to a stock E9 exhaust without need to charge me more than the headers themselves cost.

John

Mario L.

Reaction score
My last use of the IE headers was numerous years ago, and we found that one had to cut the frame rail to facilitate fitment. They are made of steel and will corrode, likely Chinese steel .
Quality costs $$$, E9s are not your Grandfathers Chevy Nova . . . they are more like an Alfa!

CSdoc

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi everyone, not new to the board as I have had my e9 for about 5 years now. Enjoy reading everyones experiences, trials and tribulations.

I currently, am in the middle of my e9 restoration project and will be going to paint about the end of May. The original M30B30 engine is kaput and therefore have built a new motor from a M30B34 block and bored to 3.7L, compression 10.5:1, racing cam with fuel injection and ITBs of 40mm. My motor will be complete soon and will be ready to install shortly after paint is complete. (BTW, the photo to the left is a repaint by prior owner in 2003 and they changed the color from Ceylon Gold to Anthrazite Grau, therefore, taking it back to original Ceylon Gold with black interior leather). Doing a 5 speed conversion as well., larger radiator, oil cooler, and other associated upgrades as well.

I need to source some headers for my new engine and having trouble finding any to fit. The exhaust port size of the head I am using is 34mm or 1 5/8th inch and I can not find any of that size to fit. All backordered with no date for availability. Have contacted, the following: Coupe king- backordered, CSi, LA - Backordered, Ireland Engineering - backordered. Turner Motorsport - backordered (supersprint).

I can get a set of long tube CSL style headers but are 1 3/4" tube diameter but fear that bigger mismatch may devastate lower end performance?

Any suggested alternatives that would fit would be appreciated.

Last resort is custom fabrication and if someone knows of someone who can do that, let me know.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Jeff
Tulsa, OK

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I really like the headers that @JamesE30 out on his Alpina motor. I think they are made by Classic Exhaust but he can confirm. It is a german company that advertises on Kleinanzeigen.

Given that they are motorsport style I would imagine that they get pretty close to the frame rail.

Hmm that exchange rate!
64F5028C-8979-450F-B9AC-7AA9A793B345.jpeg