HD or Sport dampers for stock suspension

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Simple question: which dampers will give a smoother, stock-like ride on an otherwise stock suspension configuration (only modification is the front lifting spacers have been removed).

It seems the OE dampers have few if any proponents due to cost and durability. So seems a choice between the two Bilstein options (though I’m open to other suggestions) and I’ve never been clear on if the HD are more compliant.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
HD will give you a smoother ride, although a little bit stiffer than stock, but usually welcomed due to the better handling. Sport is stiffer and for cars with lowering springs, so the travel is made for that reduced vehicle height. I've always used either sports or HD on every car I've had since I was 16. I like them a lot.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
HDs for stock suspension. Highly recommend the Suspension Techniques big anti-sway bars, bought mine form La Jolla Independent.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys -- if you are getting into a discussion of ride smoothness and suspension components, I suggest you post what size rims you are using. The majority of the folks on the forum are running 16" wheels, which stiffens the ride compared to stock quite a bit. Running 16" wheels and Bilsteins will provide a substantially stiffer ride than using those same shocks with 14" or 15" wheels.

I have a set of Bilstein Sports with Carl Nelson lowering springs, but with 15" wheels my car is much more compliant than a car with 16" wheels.