Has Anyone Replaced Headlight Bulbs with LED Bulbs?

Bwana

Reaction score
Hmmm.....I'm not convinced to switch although I really like the lower current draw. I've never noticed the heat sinks on LED's before. Has anyone converted their Coupe?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm for brighter halogen - more than 55w H4's for low beams + how about 80w / 100w hella H4 bulbs - or the 70w / 75w hella bulbs. anybody tried any of the hotter bulbs. i'm sure you would need to add relays and / or increase the wiring gauge ... and upgrade the alternator to 80w. then again, i don't drive the coupe at night very much.

jmackro

Reaction score
i'm for brighter halogen - more than 55w H4's for low beams + how about 80w / 100w hella H4 bulbs - or the 70w / 75w hella bulbs. ... and upgrade the alternator to 80w.

You're mixing up amps and watts. If you have two high beam halogen bulbs, each putting out 100w, that's a total of 200w. If your alternator was rated at 80w you'd run down your battery pretty fast.

What I think you meant is an 80 amp alternator. Since watts = amps X volts, an 80 amp alternator has a maximum output of 960 watts (80a x 12v = 960w). Even with a stock alternator (which puts out what? say 65 amps), your high-wattage headlights would only consume 26% of its maximum output ((2 x 100 w) / (65 a x 12 v) = .256).

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does our connection to this site's server go over a dial-up line?

So it's not just on my end where it's slow, good to know.

Regarding headlights, I love my H1 & H4s. LEDs are too modern except for tail lights but I don't know if anyone is making E9 units. LED tailight systems are available for round and square 2002s.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So it's not just on my end where it's slow, good to know.

Regarding headlights, I love my H1 & H4s. LEDs are too modern except for tail lights but I don't know if anyone is making E9 units. LED tailight systems are available for round and square 2002s.

I get the sentiment around this subject, and LED's looking too new. I think that you are referring to the color temperature of the LED bulb. Many people associate LED's with bright white or blue temperatures. There is a vast range of options with color temps now. When you buy bulbs, you need to pay attention to the look that you are going for.

When LED's hit the home market the early bulbs were all bluish white, weren't dimable, and had lackluster performance. LED's will be the standard for new automotive bulbs moving forward, and the technology has improved greatly in the past five years alone. I've switched out almost all of my incandescent and and CFL bulbs at home with warm LED's. My bathroom fixture went from 375w to 25w with similar color temp and brightness. Just like an old car, I figure it's less current running through my 55yo home wiring.

I've always been into lighting and electrical upgrades. My VW had 55w/100w H4's with 130w H1 pencil beams. I used three 30a bosch relays, one for the low, one for the high, and one for the driving lights. I upgraded my poor jeep sealed beams to IPF H4's, and shoehorned in an OEM 160a alternator from a 5.9 Durango.

I agree with the OP that it's nice to be able to get a lighting improvement without upgrading the harness. One can have similar color temperatures with the light, but with newer looking bulb ends popping out of the back of your housing. Alternatively one can add a non-factory wiring harness so that you can run high wattage bulbs. I'm leaning towards LED's. I have had a Bosch relay fail while moving across the country. Rather than troubleshooting the relays on the road, I just reverted to factory wiring at a rest stop in Iowa. I suppose I could have played musical chairs with the relays but I didn't want to deal with properly setting up 12 pins in the dark.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You're mixing up amps and watts. If you have two high beam halogen bulbs, each putting out 100w, that's a total of 200w. If your alternator was rated at 80w you'd run down your battery pretty fast.

What I think you meant is an 80 amp alternator. Since watts = amps X volts, an 80 amp alternator has a maximum output of 960 watts (80a x 12v = 960w). So even with a 65 amp alternator, your high-wattage headlights are only consuming 26% of its maximum output.
quite correct Jay - sorry, that's what i get for trying to write on the forum while i was on a boring conference call. oops.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When you buy bulbs, you need to pay attention to the look that you are going for.

I agree with the OP that it's nice to be able to get a lighting improvement without upgrading the harness. One can have similar color temperatures with the light, but with newer looking bulb ends popping out of the back of your housing. Alternatively one can add a non-factory wiring harness so that you can run high wattage bulbs. I'm leaning towards LED's. I have had a Bosch relay fail while moving across the country. Rather than troubleshooting the relays on the road, I just reverted to factory wiring at a rest stop in Iowa. I suppose I could have played musical chairs with the relays but I didn't want to deal with properly setting up 12 pins in the dark.
the problem with LED in a vintage car environment is that the design is greatly dependent on reflectors. the problem with LED is they aren't omni-directional like an incandescent bulb is (or halogen) ... they are very directional. this makes it difficult for reflectors and glass / plastic optics. and as the video linked earlier in the thread stated, the light drops off quicker.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
the problem with LED in a vintage car environment is that the design is greatly dependent on reflectors. the problem with LED is they aren't omni-directional like an incandescent bulb is (or halogen) ... they are very directional. this makes it difficult for reflectors and glass / plastic optics. and as the video linked earlier in the thread stated, the light drops off quicker.

You are absolutely correct. I wish they made LED tail bulbs with LED's that pointed towards the reflector. I think it is less of a problem with headlight bulbs. Legacy headlights use reflectors so it is inherent in the LED bulb design to leverage the reflectors (unlike tails). You can point the LED's at the reflector as needed.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. I wish they made LED tail bulbs with LED's that pointed towards the reflector. I think it is less of a problem with headlight bulbs. Legacy headlights use reflectors so it is inherent in the LED bulb design to leverage the reflectors (unlike tails). You can point the LED's at the reflector as needed.
not so sure i agree with you Mark ... with headlights and driving lights, its all about the optics ... and the conical reflector greatly figures into that from the halogen bulb ... otherwise headlights would be pencil beams. the side throw is a blend of reflector and optics.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
not so sure i agree with you Mark ... with headlights and driving lights, its all about the optics ... and the conical reflector greatly figures into that from the halogen bulb ... otherwise headlights would be pencil beams. the side throw is a blend of reflector and optics.

My benchmark for LED's has been when Philips makes the product. The philips home LED bulbs are great.

Take a look at this review of the Philips H4 bulb. Keep in mind that the review is about 18 months old, and LED tech is moving fast.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...-review.html#/topics/1210410?page=1&_k=8nd5gi

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ouch, that philips bulb is 250 bucks for the pair. its not sold in the USA
Philips 12953BWX2

Last edited:

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
ouch, that philips bulb is 250 bucks for the pair. its not sold in the USA
Philips 12953BWX2

Well, this is probably what the $8 bulb above gets you. That and a lifespan between a few minutes and a few months.

Comparison3b_zpshbctoy0m.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The other thing to consider when looking at these write ups is the age of the test vehicle. Most written comparisons that I have seen use new off-road vehicles as a test bed. Our wiring is 40 years old. The resistance is greater on all of the connections, the switches, etc.

I really like where LED's are going. However, If you are looking for optimum light output you can't go wrong with high wattage halogens with a supplemental wiring harness.

Last edited: