Getting this 3.0CSi back on the road

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Okay, I have the other type of geothermal heating with a ~220 meter deep borehole, works great with very low heating expenses over winters.
View attachment 26806
Somehow I missed this post. I have always been fascinated by this heating/cooling system which is sometimes referred to as "Canadian well" or "Geothermal Exchange". This started when I visited some Navaho ruins in the Arizona desert several years ago and found that they were using underground caves for living in very comfortable 18-20 degrees C (64-70 F) while the outside temp in the desert was 43c / 110F.

The whole idea that temperatures at between 2 and 6 meters below the ground surface anywhere in the world are very stable at between 10 to 16C (50 to 60F) and that we can simply run air pipes from a house down there to cool the air in the summer or reverse it to heat the house in the winter is just fascinating. It takes a little work to get it done right but in the long term, it is a fantastic clean and energy efficient way to deal with seasonal temperatures. I will definitely try to implement that in our next house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_heat_pump

However I wonder why you went as far as 220 meters / 660ft. That seems incredibly deep. Is there any benefit in going that deep?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is really awesome Robert, congratulations! It goes to show, taking care of a car with any degree of passion involves a lot of seemingly unrelated peripheral work.

But it is really interesting to see what technique you are using for dealing with the weather out in Finland.

Side note: Are those overhead lights LEDs?

Yes, it's alot of work, but a decent garage has been a longtime dream for me. I would have built one even if I didn't have the e9 project:)

There are of course alot of different techniques that we can use, this just one of them.
I've insulated my garage way more than any rules require, and considering that we have very mild winters here (at least the last 10 years), it might be a bit overkill. But I really like low monthly costs, and this will definitely help with keeping down the electrical bill.

Floor have 150mm insulation, walls 200mm and the roof 400mm.

Somehow I missed this post. I have always been fascinated by this heating/cooling system which is sometimes referred to as "Canadian well" or "Geothermal Exchange". This started when I visited some Navaho ruins in the Arizona desert several years ago and found that they were using underground caves for living in very comfortable 18-20 degrees C (64-70 F) while the outside temp in the desert was 43c / 110F.

The whole idea that temperatures at between 2 and 6 meters below the ground surface anywhere in the world are very stable at between 10 to 16C (50 to 60F) and that we can simply run air pipes from a house down there to cool the air in the summer or reverse it to heat the house in the winter is just fascinating. It takes a little work to get it done right but in the long term, it is a fantastic clean and energy efficient way to deal with seasonal temperatures. I will definitely try to implement that in our next house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_heat_pump

However I wonder why you went as far as 220 meters / 660ft. That seems incredibly deep. Is there any benefit in going that deep?

Yes it's wonderful with these heat/cooling techniques, downside is that they can be expensive to install, this system I use for my house is around 14000-18000€ ready and installed, but monthly cost is usually very low when compared to other techniques.

I really don't have a good answer to your question about why we go that deep, I guess it's because the deeper you go, the warmer water you get.
Anything between 150m - 250m seems to be normal over here, depending on house size, and how soon you hit hard rock in the earth.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most of the finishing touches are now complete on the garage, the only thing left is to hook up the incoming water line, and of course buy more tools and stuff + build a sturdy workbench and put up more shelves, etc. etc. But that has to come over time.
I have to say I'm very happy with the result, and it's very nice to finally have the car in my own garage! :)

IMG_1091.jpg

And my girlfriends daily got some well deserved maintenance after being neglected for some time.

IMG_1116.jpg

I finally put some tires on my 16" alpinas, went with Vredestein Ultrac Cento 205/55r16 + 225/50r16.
And while putting them on, I decided I should replace the old front springs with my new BMW e12 H&R -40mm lowering springs. Also installed CN camber plates.

IMG_1310.jpg

And it turned out great! I would like it to be a liiitle bit lower in the front, so I'm just gonna hope the springs will settle a bit after a while.

IMG_1318.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn that looks nice! Congratulations Robert!

Both the car and the garage are so pristine that in that first photo the car almost looks like a CG render.

One question for you: I noticed there are very few windows. And the ones there are fairly small. I imagine it is for heat preservation in the winter. But with the really long days of summer at that latitude there must be plenty of daylight I would try to use, no?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn that looks nice! Congratulations Robert!

Both the car and the garage are so pristine that in that first photo the car almost looks like a CG render.

One question for you: I noticed there are very few windows. And the ones there are fairly small. I imagine it is for heat preservation in the winter. But with the really long days of summer at that latitude there must be plenty of daylight I would try to use, no?

Thank you Bo!

Yes, there are totally 9 windows and they aren't that big, no. There are several reasons for this, as you already stated heat preservation even if they are three layer windows.
Then we have the expense of bigger windows, that adds up fast. And another reason is also privacy, I don't want everybody that drives by to be able to look straight into the garage.
And maybe I'm strange, but direct sunlight that shines straight in to the garage is in my opinion not a good thing, you can use blinders but what's the point then.

Also, this is the "regular" build style for garages in Finland, I think it's more common elsewhere in the world to have big windows on garages, but that would seem a bit odd and out of place here.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny, here in Texas, the former owner of my house decided to put in a garage door that has frosted glass panels. Virtually the entire door is glass. Twelve rather large glass panels allow a lot of light into the garage, which for most of the day is nice since there are no other windows in the garage. However, in the afternoons, especially in the summer, it turns the garage into a greenhouse. I have recorded temps of a floor mat sitting in the sun at 140°F. That's 60°C for those of you not lashed to archaic standards. Ouch.

I have plans to build a carport that will shade the garage door and alleviate the solar gain to a large extent, but that's another project to take on. If we can't swing that in a reasonable time frame, I'll put some IR reflective coatings on the glass.

Ian

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you Bo!

Yes, there are totally 9 windows and they aren't that big, no. There are several reasons for this, as you already stated heat preservation even if they are three layer windows.
Then we have the expense of bigger windows, that adds up fast. And another reason is also privacy, I don't want everybody that drives by to be able to look straight into the garage.
And maybe I'm strange, but direct sunlight that shines straight in to the garage is in my opinion not a good thing, you can use blinders but what's the point then.

Also, this is the "regular" build style for garages in Finland, I think it's more common elsewhere in the world to have big windows on garages, but that would seem a bit odd and out of place here.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have recorded temps of a floor mat sitting in the sun at 140°F. That's 60°C for those of you not lashed to archaic standards. Ouch.

Yes, that's definitely one of the problems with big windows, maybe not as much here in Finland, but the sun can still be pretty intensive here even if it isn't comparable to Texas ;)

Your car's stance looks perfect as does the garage.

Thank you Andrew!

And just a little update from the garage, got my doors put back on the car, hopefully they'll stay on now.

IMG_1353.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks stunning!

I know interior wasn’t on the radar for now but I think your seats are cool!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow - the Polaris Silver looks great on the car. Really sharp!

Thanks! I really like it, can't wait to get more trim and side windows installed!

Looks stunning!

I know interior wasn’t on the radar for now but I think your seats are cool!

Thanks, but I'm not going to use my recovered original seats, I have a pair of early 70' Scheelmann 400-series seats just waiting to get reupholstered and then put in the car. Backseat is going to be CSL-style with Scheel cloth too.
I think this is a picture from one of Ron Perrys cars, but shows what I'm going for pretty well. My early seats don't have the "ears" at the upper part, and I'm also going to use the more "round" style of headrests.

Scheel.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! I really like it, can't wait to get more trim and side windows installed!

Thanks, but I'm not going to use my recovered original seats, I have a pair of early 70' Scheelmann 400-series seats just waiting to get reupholstered and then put in the car. Backseat is going to be CSL-style with Scheel cloth too.
I think this is a picture from one of Ron Perrys cars, but shows what I'm going for pretty well. My early seats don't have the "ears" at the upper part, and I'm also going to use the more "round" style of headrests.

View attachment 32185

I agree on the look. If I wasn’t so cheap I would do it myself. The new retro 400’s are $1,500 each. You may receive a PM from someone on the CSL rear seat. ;)

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, so it's been a while. I'm now also a dad (actually have been since August) so it's harder to find time for the car, but some hours every weekend and on week day evenings give results in the end.

This is the progress since the last update.
Belt trim got the anodizing removed and was polished by my dad, big job and many hours spent there! After polishing I brought the trim to a local shop that put on a ceramic coating.

And other stuff installed, vent-window frame with new glass, rear side windows + motors, door handles, door locks, wipers, mirrors.

DSC_06421.jpg

DSC_06431.jpg

Closeup of the vent window frame, mirror and newly polished belt trim (which is a bit dirty from greasy hands).
The left door handle is NOS, and there is a slight difference compared to the non-anodized polished aluminium belt trim.

DSC_06461.jpg

Sound deadening, locks, door-brakes, manual door-window mechanism installed, and a lot of rust protection.

DSC_06471.jpg

DSC_06511.jpg

More sound deadening in the drivers foot well installed, also my new 380mm Petri.
Had my steering column removed and repainted as the last paint was just a regular non-textured satin paint.
Now I used SEM texture paint + SEM satin black paint to give it a more original look, but not exactly like original.

DSC_06481.jpg

Heat control panel refinished with the same SEM texture + satin black paint and installed.

IMG_1744.jpg

DSC_06491.jpg

Sunvisors, interior light and interior mirror installed. Sun visors refinished with SEM "super white" paint.

DSC_06501.jpg

Rear power windows with new glass installed.

DSC_06521.jpg

DSC_06531.jpg

New wires to the power windows and G-force sensors installed for my Scroth Racing -seat belt harness. Not finished quite yet. Also some more patches of sound deadening installed.

DSC_06541.jpg

Andrew Wilsons 3rd brakelight mod installed.

DSC_06561.jpg

Bought a set of Lokaris, not yet installed.

DSC_06571.jpg

Also got my carpet set from KHM, charcoal 2-tone loop. Waiting on installation.

DSC_06601.jpg

And that's where I am, at the moment.

DSC_06621.jpg

This is the man who currently takes up most of my time, meet Frank :)

IMG_1892.jpg

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
True works of art, Frank, the Csi and the garage! Big congrats.

Thank you Philippe!
I don't know if others recognize the look in Frank's eyes, but to me he is saying :" Hey Dad, when are we taking the Coupe out for a drive?" :D

Haha! He has already tried the drivers seat, and I hope he'll enjoy future drives with the coupe:)
I'm trying to figure out a good way to put in a child car seat, maybe someone have experience? Will a seat even fit or have room in the backseat?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a good way to put in a child car seat, maybe someone have experience? Will a seat even fit or have room in the backseat?
Ha! Yes I have experience with that. Our first son was born when I had my first coupe. I installed one of those baby carriage that has a base that stays permanently in the car in the rear seat. It worked out really well actually. I just used the rear seatbelt like you would on any car. Later I upgraded it to a regular child car seat and it worked out great.

The only problem is that your back takes quite a beating lifting all that weight at an impossible angle.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha! Yes I have experience with that. Our first son was born when I had my first coupe. I installed one of those baby carriage that has a base that stays permanently in the car in the rear seat. It worked out really well actually. I just used the rear seatbelt like you would on any car. Later I upgraded it to a regular child car seat and it worked out great.

The only problem is that your back takes quite a beating lifting all that weight at an impossible angle.

Thanks Bo, that brings the next questions, did your coupe have three point belts in the rear? I've been trying to figure out if two point belts will be enough to secure the child car seats or not.
Also, did you have the seat mounted rear-facing or front-facing? I'm looking to have it mounted rear-facing, but not sure if there's enough room.