Getrag 265/6 tacho drive

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been offered a 5 speed Getrag 265/6 gearbox with 262 0 051 90 marked on the case. The Tacho hole has been blanked out.
Is it possible to remove the blank and install the Tacho drive from my original 262 4 speed box ? If not which Tacho drive would fit ?
Also would the bell housing from my 262 box fit ?
Cheers
Rob

Wladek

Reaction score
Yes, you can remove blank, it is little bit tricky (probably need to be made from inside, when output flange is removed, but maybe also from outside thru tacho locking bolt hole; mine was empty so i didn't had to do that).
Yes, tacho from 4-speed 262 fit to 265/6 OD - i made it last year.

If we talk about bellhousing - it depend which version is currently mounted on your 262, if early - will not fit, if later - will fit. Early/later type i meant clutch slave cylinder, because 265/6 don't support early type clutches.

nr 3 - is early
nr 8 - is later
686x484.jpg

Last edited:

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, The 262 box is from my 1972 CSL.
Would that be classified as an early or late box?
Rob

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Like Wladek said, the Getrag 265 boxes used an internally-mounted throw-out arm for clutch actuation. The 262 used an external arm on the stock E9 application. That said, to convert between, you need the 265 bellhousing, throw out arm, throw out bearing, and clutch slave cylinder. Thankfully, the master and lines are compatible with the stock CS setup. I did the 262 to 265 conversion years back. I was also able to take the speedo drive components out of the 262 and put them directly into the 265, the drive units are the same.