Getrag 262 shorter shifts?

rover215

Reaction score
I've been scouring the forums all over, looking for a short shift mod for my e3 that will require as little modification as possible (threads: Shifter Modification, the Short Shifter Project, 5 speed shift linkage bushing replacement, My Coupe Project, BMW E3 Short Shifter (by Leslie Wong)).

I'm only looking for a short-ER shift, not the short-EST shift, and it seems people really like the M-Z3 shifter. I'm aiming for the 328/M3 shifter, which is curved slightly and taller from the center of the shift ball). According to the mye28.com write up (E28 Shifter FAQ), the 328/M3 shifter is 8 1/4" from the ball to the end of the shifter vs 7 7/16" for the M-Z3. Not only does a short shifter feel too far in a Bavaria it looks out of place to me, so I'm shooting for as close to stock as possible. I may be able to retain the top half of the stock shifter and mate it with a modern shifter.

I really don't mind retaining the 4 speed for the time being, seeing how the Getrag 265/6 prices and increasingly rarity affect my buying one. If this has been covered and I've missed it, moderators, delete away. I don't want to bog down the site.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stock upper lever and the 320i lower lever is what I used, allows you to keep the stock threaded shift knob and givers a short-ER throw without being notchy. Replace the upper and lower lever ball plastic bearings and remove as much play in the linkage as possible. If you also go the route of the UUC dogbone it makes a big improvement in the solid feeling of the linkage. Worth the money IMHO.

rover215

Reaction score
Stock upper lever and the 320i lower lever is what I used, allows you to keep the stock threaded shift knob and givers a short-ER throw without being notchy. Replace the upper and lower lever ball plastic bearings and remove as much play in the linkage as possible. If you also go the route of the UUC dogbone it makes a big improvement in the solid feeling of the linkage. Worth the money IMHO.

Thanks, Steve- I'd love to keep using use my threaded shift knob, and finding a used e21 shifter won't be too difficult. I'm very curious how the UUC shifters feel, but I'm very happy with my relatively cheap-o and almost stock short shifter (in my e30) from BimmerWorld.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't have the entire UUC shift kit, just the dog bone.
Yesterday I drove a friend's newly and beautifully restored(by the Werk Shop) 2800CS four speed. I have a five speed with a short-throw shifter kit. My pull from first to second is 1/2 of his. And the same for all the other gears. I don't know what it is but could find out from the racer who built my drive line. I also noted my shifter is further back in the console with no obvious mods to the console. I am 6" so I sit fairly far back and found I had to reach further for his shifter. PM me if you want me to find out what kit I have.

Steve

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unless my memory has betrayed me (which is highly possible), I feel like, on my old 1600, when I switched to 5 speed, I just cut and welded the lower portion of the shifter a bit longer and it shortened up the throw nicely. I remember Steve Nelson at Race TEP had the dimension for me to extend. Easy Peasy...