garmisch by bertone a peculiar coupe prototype

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
e9 clocks and wiperarms,. but fiat door handles

looks like an inspiration for the e12...
Sorry deQ I am not with you on this one. Odd kidneys, beehive back window, sterile interior. A cross between a Chevy Vega and a Ford Pinto. Ouch.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmm - to my eyes and taste, I hope they do better when they produce the "Partenkirchen". ONE thing I did like was the glove box 'drawer'. It would save getting down and trying to see what is back in the typical 'glove box'.

Thanks anyway Jesus - always interesting to look at what some designers create.

Gary-

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmm - to my eyes and taste, I hope they do better when they produce the "Partenkirchen". ONE thing I did like was the glove box 'drawer'. It would save getting down and trying to see what is back in the typical 'glove box'.

Thanks anyway Jesus - always interesting to look at what some designers create.

Gary-
Gary, agree about the glove box. It will be easier to see the rust.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
e9 clocks and wiperarms,. but fiat door handles

looks like an inspiration for the e12...
Wow. that was super interesting! Thanks Jesus.
There are two distinctive parts to this:

1. The car. We have to remember that this is, probably mid sixties I'm guessing, prototype. These are just ideas. Some work, some clearly don't. The exterior feels heavy. The interior has lots of cool touches... for the mid sixties.

2. The filming. Most of it: Wow, really nice. Some people spent a lot of time and money on this shoot. But mostly.... where do you find a one lane road in the middle of the snowy mountains???

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry , ugly it is .

it is always a matter of taste and taste is very personal
i worked in the automotive industry in the nineties, and met and worked with the chief of design of a car line from a german brand i will not disclose
the guy was very humble and wise, he told me that a durable design should be a bit confronting at first sight and usually needs a second or third approach to get a full interpretation
said this i think this prototype needs to be seen in its era, the seventies were those years of space ships and colonies in the moon and mars, the era of rubber and plastic as cool materials (better considered than leather back in the days)
if you check the frua design on the e9 it is also certainly a bit surprising, but more conventional
generally speaking i would love to have this prototype in my garage
beauty is in the eyes of the owner
and it is extremely nice that not everyone likes the same things...

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm still glad our coupes are the way they are , and not like that proto :)
deQ and Bmachine, your putting this car in context, the 70s and 80s, looking at it through the prism of that period and what we were accustomed to seeing, I can better understand the sharp angles and hard edges. And the interior follows along. But unlike our coupes which are timeless, this design will disappear along with the Vega and the Chrysler K Car.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
it looks horrible... but I still like it for its quirkiness.
Some Citroen SM style in the front lights, some modern Lamborghini-look in that rear window 'thing'.

I'm not sure if I will start liking it if I would see it more often...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did not realize that BMW decided to completely re-build this car from old photographs as the original does not exist anymore. Hmmm, how could they justify the likely enormous cost of doing that? When you build a new concept car, at least you can explore new design ideas that could be included in production models at some point. But that obviously wont be the case here. If you're going to go through that much effort and money, at least pick something that looks good.

Adriaan Van Hooyndonk has been making some really strange design decisions for someone in such a critical position.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What the villain in Enter the Dragon would have driven to meet a Bond villain at a George Clinton concert.