Gap closing between front window and rear quarter win. seal

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based upon archive postings it appears there can be variability in the gap between the front side window and the seal that's attached to the rear quarter window. Here I'm referring to the gap between the inside of the window and the seal--one that may allow water to enter.

I installed new seals a few weeks ago and found no gap upon door closure. Now, I have a partial gap (1-2 mm) along the entire seal except for the very top, which touches the door glass. Doors are aligned such that they close flush to the body.

Another poster described inserting a nylon tube inside of the seal to maintain its thickness. Are there any other adjustments, perhaps to the front windows, that can be made to improve window / seal gap alignment?

Thanks

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based upon archive postings it appears there can be variability in the gap between the front side window and the seal that's attached to the rear quarter window. Here I'm referring to the gap between the inside of the window and the seal--one that may allow water to enter.

I installed new seals a few weeks ago and found no gap upon door closure. Now, I have a partial gap (1-2 mm) along the entire seal except for the very top, which touches the door glass. Doors are aligned such that they close flush to the body.

Another poster described inserting a nylon tube inside of the seal to maintain its thickness. Are there any other adjustments, perhaps to the front windows, that can be made to improve window / seal gap alignment?

Thanks

pmansson

Reaction score
This is a real bummer !!
Basically both front and rear side windows (door and quarterlights)
are adjustable sideways. To get them in position so that the gap is even, and suitable to to house the rubber seal without it getting either squished or leaving a gap is very, very difficult. I have several cars and each one is different in this respect.

You also need to watch their position with regards to the outer chrome, with felt and rubber squegees...

I currently have at least 2 connections which leave a gap. Another reason not to wash these cars.....

Looking forward to somebody posting the real trick here.....

pmansson

Reaction score
This is a real bummer !!
Basically both front and rear side windows (door and quarterlights)
are adjustable sideways. To get them in position so that the gap is even, and suitable to to house the rubber seal without it getting either squished or leaving a gap is very, very difficult. I have several cars and each one is different in this respect.

You also need to watch their position with regards to the outer chrome, with felt and rubber squegees...

I currently have at least 2 connections which leave a gap. Another reason not to wash these cars.....

Looking forward to somebody posting the real trick here.....