dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
paint garage 1600.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
LED lights, big exhaust fan, Furnace filters on the air intake and a Plastic tent and you will be in business. I bought a Breathe Cool air system for when I am welding. I also use it for my interior rattle can work. The only danger I see is that you can forget what the % of the flammable component is when working in a heated Canadian garage. Explosions can ruin your day.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
All my paint jobs require sanding afterwards anyway so you can usually make most any paint job look good with elbow grease!

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
As long as one has enough material on the car color sanding and buffing is a good thing if the paint has cured!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Update to the "paint garage". Demo started, LED lights arrived yesterday so I can layout the electrical and mounting. I'm on the fence about insulating it but probably will. Kinda hard to do it later.

paint-garage4.jpg

paint-garage3.jpg

paint-garage2.jpg

paint-garage.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd hold an art sale to fund renovations, maybe claim an elephant did the panels.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
All my paint jobs require sanding afterwards anyway so you can usually make most any paint job look good with elbow grease!

depends on how deeply embedded the mosquitoes and gnats get. I did one car back in 1989 where some of the bugs landed just as I was starting to lay on the clear. No amount of wet sanding and buffing completely eliminated all visible parts of their bodies from within the paint.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
epends on how deeply embedded the mosquitoes and gnats get. I did one car back in 1989 where some of the bugs landed just as I was starting to lay on the clear. No amount of wet sanding and buffing completely eliminated all visible parts of their bodies from within the paint.
And what a great story those blemishes tell. :) "and here you can see the feet and ankles of a Culex restuans mosquito, suspended in the 2nd and 3rd layers of clear."

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
So true. I can say that I've learned with each paint job, to the point where the hood and bumper of my daughters E90 wagon only had about four places that needed light sanding.

IMG_20170522_202344721.jpg

e90.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, like it happens with most projects, while working on the paint garage I started having a problem with underground power that supplies the two garages on the property. After messing with it for a couple days it looks like I'll be putting in new underground conduit and wiring. Baaaaah!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, like it happens with most projects, while working on the paint garage I started having a problem with underground power that supplies the two garages on the property. After messing with it for a couple days it looks like I'll be putting in new underground conduit and wiring. Baaaaah!
And another layer of the onion is peeled. I know exactly what you mean. My car restoration might end up buying us a new garage. :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been using base/clear Prospray urethane. I've been told it's a middle-of-the-road quality but it seems to work great. Paint on friend's and families cars that are five years old still look awesome and they're all daily drivers. My friend has been a professional painter for over 30 years on high-end cars so I ask him for opinions on stuff. He says PPG is the most common base and you can put any urethane clear over it. Nason makes a very inexpensive clear that's better than PPG's clear. The automotive paint store I go to carries Prospray so I use that and don't have a reason to change since it's worked well for me. I have very limited knowledge with paints.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_20180527_154214242.jpg

Update to the paint garage / work space.... Got some second-hand insulation off of Craigslist and got it all in over the long weekend. Drywall going back up and will rent a drywall lift to do the ceiling. Getting closer...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ceiling drywall is up! It was 102deg outside and it took me the entire day to put up 12 panels, but it's done. I'm still recovering. Still have a little trimming to do then I'll put mud on it this week. Starting to come together.

IMG_20180602_122833996-1600.jpg

IMG_20180602_172523592_HDR-1600.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The drywall hoist is a fantastic design. I almost wanted to keep the one I rented. Taping and sanding, I passed on to the Pros. It was a good decision.