Fuel Pressure Gage question

84E24

Reaction score
I have purchased a Inglese fuel pressure gauge rated at 0 - 8 psi, oil filled for my coupe with triple DCOE 40's.

Question: there is a sticker on the side of the gauge stating " After installation perforate plug to vent gauges." There is a rubber plug on the back side of the gauge.

Does or has anyone done this or know what it means ? No instructions.....

I have another brand of fuel pressure gauge in my e24 that is fuel injected that I did not have to do this.

Thanks,

Steve

61porsche

Reaction score
Dampened Fuel Pressure Guage

A pressure gauge has a Bourdon tube element and a pointer mechanism supported on an inner support member which is substantially contained inside the case body of the gauge. The inner support member has a bore in communication with the inner space of the Bourdon tube. The case body has a flattened, outwardly projecting wall zone surrounding a first aperture. An end surface of the inner support member has a contour adapted to the contour of the case wall zone. The matching contours serve to position the inner support member and an outer connection member threads into the inner support member to hold it tightly in place. Seals are provided between the inner support and outer connection members and between the outer connection members and the case body. An air cushion sits on top of the dampening fluid. The air cushion is vented through a vent plug having a longitudinal bore that is terminated by a cross hole transverse to the bore. The vent plug is slidably supported by a grommet that seals a second aperture above the air cushion. When the vent plug is raised, the cross hole is closed off.

I'd talk to Englese on the 800 number. Seems as though you'd have to mount it in a particular position. The vent is used in case of an overpressure in the guage. It is oil dampened so you won't have needle fluctuations.