fuel filler door installation

ourdogblue

Reaction score
Greetings to all from this newbie, who first asked for (and received excellent) advice in Nov.
Restoration proceeds on my '73 3.0 CS. The paint shop removed the fuel filler door, the rubberboot inside, tube to tank and vapor cannister. Now the trunk is restored, and exterior finished, but nobody (including me) can get the fuel filler door back on its studs inside the trunk. The guys said it was pretty difficult to get it off (some weeks ago), but I wasn't there at that time. In retrospect, probably wasn't a good idea to take it all apart - sure made refinishing inside and out a lot easier, tho.
So my question is, anyone have any experience with the fuel filler door replacement, or any tips or techniques that may succeed? The studs are just a little too long to get the door base on them when trying to position the door from outside the car, The darn rubber boot, if it's replaced in its correct position, makes it almost impossible to do anything from inside the trunk. We've thought about trimming the studs down a little. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
try a search here - several tips have been posted - apparantly it's not a simple task