FS: 1972 BMW 3.0CS - Craigslist - Sahara - California

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not mine, no affiliation. Fantastic year, and color combo! (But maybe im biased) :)
Enthusiastic, maybe. Anyone else noticed how increasingly rare under hood photos in for sale ads are which show areas like the one marked below?
If this particular shot betrays material condition, you're possibly looking at one, maybe two new fenders, with paint that comes close to doubling the 31k asking price. Better move quickly while the hype can save you from getting upside down!
72 sahara.jpg

floridabmx

Reaction score
Enthusiastic, maybe. Anyone else noticed how increasingly rare under hood photos in for sale ads are which show areas like the one marked below?
If this particular shot betrays material condition, you're possibly looking at one, maybe two new fenders, with paint that comes close to doubling the 31k asking price. Better move quickly while the hype can save you from getting upside down!
View attachment 39294

Looks like a typical unrestored 45 year old engine bay to me....

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sharp looking car. This interior, to me, looks like an example of re-covered seats that look pretty tidy - not a lot of out-of-place wrinkles.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a typical unrestored 45 year old engine bay to me....
are you saying rust bubbling or separation along the top join seams of the inner and outer front fenders is typical for coupes that sell for 30 thousand dollars? Almost every ad with pictures somehow or other (conveniently?) crops those seams from underhood photos. I am NOT saying this car needs that work, I AM saying that little area I highlighted is suspect enough (to my enthusiastically-jaundiced eye) to ask about it. Clearly you don't want to address that view/concern/problem area. I'm ok enough with that. Hope you are too (I'd really hate to get anyone sitting on a bunch of rust buckets all bent with my rampant negativism.) :p

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am NOT saying this car needs that work, I AM saying that little area I highlighted is suspect enough (to my enthusiastically-jaundiced eye) to ask about it.

That area looks dirty but completely fine to me. I see no rust whatsoever.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Even if it had rust who cares. You act like 30k is a lot. If it was restored it would be 100k. You can’t buy a rust free coupe for 30k. They all have rust somewhere unless they’ve been restored or sat in a climate controlled box their entire lifetime. Im grateful I started with nothing when I got into cars it’s pathetic the type of comments and disrespect I see towards these and other classic cars from grown adult men. It’s unreal what the difference in definition of rust is to a 40 year old with a checkbook and a classic BMW or Porsche on the west coast vs a broke 20 year old with a e30 or aircooled VW in the north east. Respect the cars for what they are and what is left. They’re not cheap cars anymore for a reason. The majority of them dying to rust is one of them.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the majority of the conversation about this coupe was NOT disrepectful ... i look at accurately describing a vehicles condition not to tear down what somebody is selling, but to protect the potential buyer from what they don't know. i am in the process of buying a 2nd coupe to restore that has some rust issues ... because of its original (unique) color - ceylon. but i know what i'm getting to start with as it has some rust issues, and i know there is more lurking that will be discovered. new people to this forum do not always know what some of us know ... and they might get burned. you are correct, 30k isn't a lot for a mostly rust-free coupe, it would be a bargain ... if it was riddled with rust, different story. what is important in the conversation about value is - understanding the total / overall condition - the restoration process goes up exponentially when everything needs to be sourced and replaced rather than a reasonable amount of cleaning / refurbishing.

face it we all have personal opinions, and we are free to express them. you like sahara, i think its just okay ... some like black, i have one and its not anywhere near my favorite (but it was the coupe in the best condition that i could find while buying) ... some like siena while others hate it. some people love fjord / others think the color is too common (i think its gaining popularity again thanks to Athena). that doesn't make it good or bad, it makes it a personal choice.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll second the thought that it's important to review what's presented here. Not everyone, especially new forum users, are good at searching the past posts to get educated on what to look for. And the terrain changes as cars age and values increase. Look at the Porsche world where cars that were regarded as not even worth parting out are now high value 'restorable' buys. Not that we have that kind of market, but values are increasing.

I do like fjord, but I have two very similar color cars already. A blue water metallic X3 and a slightly bluer Toyota Previa. So locally, I'm saturated with fjord-like color. Thus the decision to keep my car its original chamonix when the great painting event happens.

Reactions: dp

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Look at the Porsche world where cars that were regarded as not even worth parting out are now high value 'restorable' buys. Not that we have that kind of market, but values are increasing.
I am looking forward to the e9s getting to that market landscape. It would make my car look so much better on paper. :)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think in regards to any coupe north of $20k needs a PPI.

This one looks good and may be even better with more high resolution pictures.

I think right now with this market, the average #4 car with minimal rust is now $30k. This could easily be a #3, $45k car with engine detailing and maybe a new headliner

floridabmx

Reaction score
I remember I did a PPI for a potential buyer and the one owner car was honest and original something you lust for when it comes to a unmolested classic car. Like a pair of worn shoes...a car that was never takin apart. A dream. Sure it had worn original paint, some discolored wrinkles in the original leather, and some dry seals, but very rust free. That was the beauty of the car. The guy had me drive it to a body shop for a PPI. The body shop charged him like $200 to miss out and scare him on a perfect example and absolute rare opportunity. The buyer emailed me back with a laundry list of stupid things that only happen on old cars. He passed on it luckily and I sold it to a guy for $500 more than I was gonna sell to him the next day. I sold it for $10k a few years back and it surely would’ve been a $30k+ car nowadays. If I’m spending 20-30k I’ll spend the $400 for a plane ticket and lay my own eyes on a car.