Front seat back adjustment problem

mdf

Reaction score
The front seats on E9s have a rake adjustment knob on the side. Turning the knob adjusts the seatback angle. As far as I can tell the knob has a cable attached to it that runs under the seat which also turns the rake adjustment on the opposite side. Am I correct so far?

Well my problem is that the cable that connects the opposite side adjuster to the knob is missing. So turning the knob only adjusts one side of the seat. I have to manually reach under the seat and adjust the other side so that the seatback angle is the same. Has anyone had this problem before - how did you you fix it.

Thanks,

-Michael Fatsi

Honolulu

Reaction score
Iirc

I had a piece of key stock - hard steel 1/8" square and 18" long. That's what I used; it turned out that the sprockets on either side were in correct alignment so a straight shot was all that I needed.

You may be able to source 1/8" square stock at a nearby hardware store.

Really can't remember just now if this was a 2002 or the 3.0CS. Hmmm, another senior moment. Figures.

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just put passenger front seat back in after few months and realize seat now slides front so much that it hits center console. Also it goes back much further than i remember.

Is there any limiter/stoper that i forgot to put back in?

Thanks

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just put passenger front seat back in after few months and realize seat now slides front so much that it hits center console. Also it goes back much further than i remember.

Is there any limiter/stoper that i forgot to put back in?

Thanks
Seats slides have limiter itself (curved ends that lock the rollers inside the rails).
So, take a look at slides - if roller aren't out when full forward or back.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Michael,

The adjusting piece goes under the springs on the seats of the e9, and is flexible. Do you need one, or ones for each side? I just confirmed that I do have a pair of these. Came from pre-74 seats. I'd prefer to sell them as a pair.

Started a conversation with pictures of the cables attached. IF you are interested in these, let me know what they are worth to you.

Gary

Last edited:

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Roller is in and it does stop on curve but than seat is already in the center console.
Seats slides have limiter itself (curved ends that lock the rollers inside the rails).
So, take a look at slides - if roller aren't out when full forward or back.

I removed 1 rail ... roller is inside and does stop seat on curved end, but way too far or that is normal I dont really know where seat need to stop?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My seats also hit the center console if slid forward, I think this is normal, but I drive with my seat all of the way back.

Honolulu

Reaction score
+1, I've also used a piece of 1/8 square stock. The original is a sheathed, flexible cable with square ends. The original has the advantage of being flexible, so it's easier to mount; but if you get just the right length of square stock, it will fit perf.

Since NO ONE will ride behind me (seat is all the way back) there is no concern about a passenger getting their foot on the replacement. Can't remember why I did this, only that it works well.