Front Fender Side Grille Color?

sebring222

Reaction score
Group-
At one point the vent grille on the sides of the front fenders were silver/stainless/chrome and changed to black. It seems that early white cars had silver grilles, perhaps all early cars did. At what point were all the grilles changed to black? Were some early grilles black and others silver?

Thanks for your input on this.

Jim D
New Orleans

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Group-
At one point the vent grille on the sides of the front fenders were silver/stainless/chrome and changed to black. It seems that early white cars had silver grilles, perhaps all early cars did. At what point were all the grilles changed to black? Were some early grilles black and others silver?

Thanks for your input on this.

Jim D
New Orleans

just some information about my case:

my car was originally chamonix white, and the old grille came with some silver rest (I mean due to the time passed the silver was more a matt grey)

the car was built on may 1971

happy if it helps

regards

pamp

Reaction score
Grilles

Preference only. The grilles are plastic...only a few venders up to the task to rework for the chrome finish. Some body colors the preferred is chrome, on mine I opt for black. Easy rattle can show. To rework the grilles for chrome...vacuum bag deal. And $$$...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My metal guy is nickel plating my grilles and vents for my 74 Polaris . It will be so close to chrome. He claims chroming plastic successfully for outdoor use with all the nooks and crannies is next to impossible. Cost $100 each. We shall see.
Steve