Front bumper conversion road block

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
First a WTB request. If anyone has a set of 1972 or earlier front bumper brackets I’d be interested in them.
Like the one in the picture below.

My problem is, due to rusted nut/bolts, I cannot get the overriders off my 73 front bumper. The long bolt the comes through the overrider to the back of the bumper is throughly rusted. It’s a carridge bolt that locks in to the square hole in the overrider. But it’s just spinning in the holes now. The head of these bolts is under the overrider rubber so I can’t get at it. Of course I can’t take the rubber off without removing the overrider from the bumper. There’s is no acces to cut the bolt or even break it.

Any suggestions?

2F9791AD-17FC-4023-9C63-663F760026AF.jpeg 82DBEF30-1FCF-4A96-8EF1-0852DCAAFD58.jpeg

Last edited:

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
can you remove the rubber from the overrider? If not, youre gonna need to bust out the angle grinder and cut the nut/stud off the back

also, you should be able to make that bracket rather than buy one

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First a WTB request. If anyone has a set of 1972 or earlier front bumper brackets I’d be interested in them.
Like the one in the picture below.

My problem is, due to rusted nut/bolts, I cannot get the overriders off my 73 front bumper. The long bolt the comes through the overrider to the back of the bumper is throughly rusted. It’s a carridge bolt that locks in to the square hole in the overrider. But it’s just spinning in the holes now. The head of these bolts is under the overrider rubber so I can’t get at it. Of course I can’t take the rubber off without removing the overrider from the bumper. There’s is no acces to cut the bolt or even break it.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 52203 View attachment 52202
You'll likely need to cut the nut off the bolt with a grinder. Or, if you cut the rubber off you can carefully cut the carriage bolt head off and pull it through. I went several rounds with a bumper in similar shape. The bumper won several battles but I finally won the war. ;)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Same issue...angle grinder . Guess you can use a Dremel for more precision.