Fresh Air Box Seals & Windshield Gaskets

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
While attending the Amelia Island Concours this past weekend I spoke with a representative of BMW Group Classic from Munich. I related to her the need (at least my own) for the rectangular under hood seal for the fresh air box and the desire of many to obtain a windshield seal. She made notes of those items and even visited my car during Cars & Coffee to view the two items. Turns out that her dad had a Verona e3 when she was a student so viewing my exact match to her dad's brought back (her words) a flood of memories. She's likely to have to get approval from the bean counters, but I'm confident that she will make the attempt. It would be a help if I could give her some numbers of who would be buyers, so please let me know if you are among those in need of either. I don't know the cost but fully expect that it won't be inexpensive. When they did offer air box seals a few years ago they were +/- $100. Have no idea whatsoever about the cost of windshield seals.

Let me know please.

Cheers,
Jim

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath with BMW Classic it's been a lip service to this point from them.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve spoken with the Exec who comes to Legends every year, he is clueless and could care less. He did promise that they're developing a website where we could upload pics of our cars, priceless!

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, Scott, but that's not the seal I'm seeking. It is the under hood rubber which seals the fresh air intake box from the engine compartment. e3's and e9's are not the same.

Jim, An e3 trunk seal can be used, we did this in our 2800, just trim it to the length it needs. The series II NK sedans are also similar and can use the e3 seal.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve spoken with the Exec who comes to Legends every year, he is clueless and could care less. He did promise that they're developing a website where we could upload pics of our cars, priceless!

Yup, I hear ya Chris. They sent a large contingent to Florida, and though I know that's a minuscule investment for BMW AG, I thought why not ask...

If they can't deliver, I'm not at all opposed to giving them an earful of "Are you going to support us or not"?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, Scott, but that's not the seal I'm seeking. It is the under hood rubber which seals the fresh air intake box from the engine compartment. e3's and e9's are not the same.
oh, top of firewall?

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score

CSBM5

Reaction score
That's not an accurate rendition of what it actually looks like, but I have the factory parts book(s) and that is the image shown there as well. My recollection of the original is that it was one rectangular piece surrounding the box around the fresh air intake.

Yeah, I just can't remember fully, but I do seem to recall it being two pieces with a front piece that goes around outside edge, and then a piece that goes across the entire back edge?. Also, I'm wondering what #5 is that pic, called out twice with different part numbers...if it is the back edge piece, I would thought it was one piece. In addition, I never would have guessed these would be the same exact part for all E12s also.

I only have a few pictures of my old E3 engine scanned, so below is all I have but it cuts off those edges. I have many more I've not scanned that probably show the whole compartment.

46645512184_c21c4a6df8_h.jpg

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's an image of mine. I currently have a seal only on the front edge, but the required piece seals the front, short ends and then the edge just ahead of the windshield. I have tried several aftermarket varieties for the rear and sides but cannot find just the right height. My test of proper fit is to close and latch the hood. Some pieces did not allow for the rear of the hood to fully close - it stand up and looks unlatched, or worse, the seal is so tall that it feels like I'm going to break the cable when I pull the handle!

IMG_7232-L.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath with BMW Classic it's been a lip service to this point from them.

I met with Bmw Classic 2 weeks ago in Sun Valley Idaho.
Great follow through on a project we are working on in a remote area. This is on their video series.

Parts have been an issue- somebody really smart would make a job for themself by being an middleman.

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
BMW Classic response:

Hello Jim,

sorry for my late response. I am very busy. We checked your request in the meantime. It will be way to expensive the reproduce this part.

You have to look in the free market unfortunately.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
J***

Classically pathetic....

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I met with Bmw Classic 2 weeks ago in Sun Valley Idaho.
Great follow through on a project we are working on in a remote area. This is on their video series.

Parts have been an issue- somebody really smart would make a job for themselves by being an middleman.
Are you stepping up to the plate Don? Just teasing. That would be the most frustrating job in the world.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I finally gave up on my standing order for drivers side head light grill. It will be 6 years in September since I started that quest. Still in the system and never changed to NLA.
Did you get that everyone.......... I've had a part on order for 6 years.
I wish I had a recording or Mario's conversation with them at Amelia at the 100th Anniversary.

They just don't care. It's all about the money and how many new cars they can lease because no one buys a BMW anymore and no one keeps one out of warranty.