Formal intro, '67 2000CS now in the Austin, Texas area

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Howdy all.

Some of you may have seen my posts on the main discussion page talking about this car a few weeks ago.
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/2000cs-on-barrett-jackson-auction.23524/

front right II.jpg front left II.jpg

My nephew, Tim, trailered the car from Albuquerque, NM to our family place in central Texas while we enjoyed our holidays in the peace of no cell service... I spent a week working on the car and sorting out a game plan for it's future. Here's a bit of update for anyone who's followed along.

The car: 1967, 2000CS, originally Granada red, built on May 23, 1967, delivered to Erwin Will Dealership in Worms, Germany a week later. How it got to the US is still yet, unknown.

The car came with a good amount of receipts and paperwork from the previous owners starting in about June, 1984, in the San Francisco area. The first major receipt was from legendary Bay Area BMW engine builder, Dave Cruse. Dave also rebuilt the transmission at that time (4 speed Getrag). I'm still tracking down some specifics about the engine build, but it has domed pistons, heavier valve springs, combustion chambers and ports have been massaged and the cam is noted as "528-4 grind" (if anyone knows what that designates, please let me know) I'll get a caliper on it and try to determine lift, at least.

The car was repainted and interior redone from '85 to about '89 by what appears to be three different folks all working on it in the driveway and the interior was done in San Francisco. The car was sold in about 1990 and went to Albuquerque, NM. Story goes that it was not garaged and sat in the sun... so much for the new interior and paint. The man I bought the car from got it in 2009. He had it repainted cheaply and let it sit in the sun... so much for the cheap paint. All the clear coat is peeling off.

I've found where this car was for sale for a while. Here's a 2012 listing: http://barnfinds.com/desert-bimmer-1967-bmw-2000cs/ I always enjoy the comments sections... $13,500 was a mighty steep for this car back then.

So... I bought the car after my nephew was able to inspect, drive and take tons of cell pics and videos for me. I was basically the first guy in the driveway with the cash. Me and the PO came to terms for less than he wanted, but I think was a good price for each of us.

Fast forward to last week. It didn't leave the starting blocks well.... Good nephew Tim calls me on a Friday night. The key will not turn the ignition... no matter how they jiggle or spray lubricant... it will not budge with either set of keys. Fortunately, the wheels are pointed mostly straight and they are able to push in onto the trailer. Once at the ranch we are able to get it off the trailer and into a work barn where I have to drill out the lock cylinder's retaining pin, remove the cylinder and free up the steering wheel and can get to the ignition switch. At least it's steering and running again.
barn pic II.jpg drilled ignition.jpg

I spent the week tuning it, changing fluids, inspecting it and trying to learn as much as I could about it. One more nice surprise was the discovery of the Quick Ratio steering box. I spotted the red box, confirmed the 177 suffix on the tag and even found the receipt for it! Awesome.
QR steering box.jpg

Brakes need some new wheel cylinders, soft lines, and the master cylinder is leaking at the booster, but friction surfaces appear new. I repacked wheel bearings and spindles are in top shape. Put new gear lube in the Getrag and diff, changed oil and filter in the M10. New plugs, replaced the very sloppy distributor with a known-good unit, while I'm waiting on a new 123Ignition with bluetooth :cool: I fired it up, timed it and tweaked the Solex's idle screws a bit. Synch'd the carbs, re-tweaked the idle screws and whoa... purrs like a kitten at less than 900 rpm. Nice. Carbs need to be rebuilt (accelerator pumps are toast), but wow it runs nicely.

I put a little polish on things and we trailered it home last Friday morning. I'll sort out some brakes and other minor mechanicals and get to work on on some wonky lights (stalks on the column are glitchy) Should be on the road in no time. My 87 year old Papa says it will be our new "Church Car"... he's very excited about the car!

Papa's Church Car.jpg

Interior will need to be redone and I will need the chrome trim on the interior of the doors, at the lower part of the grab handle, right behind the door handle.... if anyone has a source. Thanks. Most everything else is with the car.

seats.jpg

Enjoy :)

Barn pic.jpg clean engine.jpg airbox.jpg

Ed Z
Cedar Park, Texas

Boobouna

Reaction score
Lovely story, and great car. I just wish they sold them in Australia so I can buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodspock

Reaction score
Boobouna,

I know of two 2000 CSs in Australia - both were here in Queensland at one stage.

The first is a neat condition yellow/beige coloured car that was sold to South Australia about two years ago.

The other was a rusted out yellow car that was in the Gold Coast hinterland as part of a collection. This collection has been broken-up and I am uncertain where this car ended up.

Cheers,

Rod

Boobouna

Reaction score
Boobouna,

I know of two 2000 CSs in Australia - both were here in Queensland at one stage.

The first is a neat condition yellow/beige coloured car that was sold to South Australia about two years ago.

The other was a rusted out yellow car that was in the Gold Coast hinterland as part of a collection. This collection has been broken-up and I am uncertain where this car ended up.

Cheers,

Rod

I only know of one 2000C in Melbourne. It was passed in at a Shannons auction few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Couldn't stand it any longer... grabbed the orbital and the Griot's correction cream and wax and put some polish on it. Paint above the beltline is toast with very little clear coat remaining, but I had to get some kinda shine on it. Papa approves...

Papa and me.jpg

Maybe I shoulda put a little wreath on the front bumper and made it a Christmas card pic...?

Ed Z

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know the feeling.
Looks great in the shade of red. Come to think of it all coupes do.
Good luck!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Latest update:

I rebuilt the Solexes and Pierburg pump last week. I installed them and had troubles with the carbs being badly flooded. Came to discover the new pump spring in the rebuild kit for the Pierburg was far too strong; providing too much fuel pressure to the carbs and pushing fuel past the needle valves. I put a pressure regulator in-line between the pump and carbs and got it running nicely, in no time.

On Saturday, I was hoping to drive the CS to our local BMW C&C in Austin. The Coupe had other plans... A few miles from home as we were about to get on the highway, I slipped her into 3rd gear annnnnd....the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. uh oh... Slowly the clutch engaged, but it was time to circle back and hope I could limp it home. Well... half way home, the Pierburg gave up. I think the pump hammering away against the regulator made it fail.... So. No fuel and a barely operating clutch. As Marty Feldman said in "Young Frankenstein"... "it could be worse... it could be raining" Actually, it was kinda misty...

I had brought along a small tool set and emergency supplies. I had not removed the electric pump the car came with, so, I re-engaged/wired/plumbed the electric pump and was able to limp the car home with few troubles.

I had been thinking about the clutch hydraulics for a few days...and how the pedal would behave. While Papa would step on the pedal, I would watch the action of the slave cylinder and clutch fork. Pushing the clutch pedal to the floor was very smooth, but releasing the pedal would show a hangup, then it would overcome the resistance and snap closed. I could hear some "hissing" of the throwout bearing when you step on the pedal. It was newly installed about 20,000 miles ago... 32 years ago. I theorized that perhaps the it wasn't sliding on the input shaft very smoothly. More importantly, the rubber flex line between the master and slave cylinders was likely swelled tight, inside. Again, pressing the clutch provided enough pressure to overcome the tight line, but the pressure plate might not have enough leverage to close the piston on the slave, if the hose was swelled.

Today... I replaced the flex line with a stainless, braided one I found in my stash of parts and bled the system. I also was able to peer past the clutch fork and see the input shaft was kinda cruddy. I attached two red straws onto some PB spray lubricant and was able to precisely apply lube to the shaft at the throwout bearing, as well as some of the rotating surfaces of the bearing.

I climbed behind the wheel and presto, magico... another Christmas Miracle. The pedal feels like brand new. Silky smooth from top of the stroke to the bottom. Beautiful engagement.

Fired it up and took it for a blast around the neighborhood. Got it on some open road and experienced perfect operation into 4th gear. I spun around and loaded up Papa for a ride. He had a huge grin on his face as we went WOT through the gears. I haven't put the airbox back on the engine and those open Solexes roaring along at 6,000 rpm were a delight to me and the old man. Looks like I'll have Papa elf's sleigh ready for Christmas, after all.

Ed "Apprentice Tinkerer" Z

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Absolutely... it won't fix itself.

Forgot to mention that the rear wheel cylinders and rear flex lines were replaced last week, as well. The front brake flex lines are the last things on that list, but they bleed easily, so it's not a pressing matter.

I was also able to get spray lube to the upper and lower bearings of the heater fan... it now spins away quietly at all three positions. The underhood light and trunk light both work, too. :)

I haven't tried the rear windows yet... but if they work, I'll really be shocked.

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 2000CS turns 50 today!

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2000 CS VIN 1107357 was manufactured on May 23rd, 1967 and delivered on May 30th, 1967 to the BMW dealer Will in Worms. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

--
BMW Group
Julia Oberndörfer
Archiv, Sammlung, Classic Brand Management