520b0b75e1e9a1c80655c5aaba95b34b.png

9d6158d956bba6b3d2f1d4eae67166fc.png

d4cabbb2cb39d2f520806736dc0cd1af.png

b32cd89c489f707725a564d01fcfea99.png

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sigh... It could have been worse. At least it was a big bumpered '74 auto. :p

On a serious note, I wonder how the owner fared? It is safe to assume that it was parked in a garage, and would have been covered under homeowners. However, we've probably all heard that over 80% of the Houston residents do *not have flood insurance. Will classic car insurance cover this kind of stuff. I'm guessing not as insurance companies hate double coverage.

The car will live on, possibly giving a young enthusiast a shot at a 3.0CS. The car is simple enough that most everything is salvageable. I wouldn't want to run those seats but you probably reuse the seemingly good leather after a thorough cleaning. The speedo cluster would be suspect along with all the relays. The chassis harness is probably otherwise fine. The biggest future detractor from this car will be the black eye that a salvage title brings about. Silly in the long run given that the car will undergo the same or less surgery than many of its cleanly titled peers. The classic car market will dictate the value...

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would think flooded cars need to be resurrected pretty quickly... Houston floods are mostly freshwater, I would think a car flooded with sea water wouldn't be worth much at all.

A fellow 2002 owner turned his Roundie over to Hagerty a week ago... he had 7' in his house and trying to fix the '02 was way down on the priorities list. Too bad, it was a beauty.

Ed

jamesw

Reaction score
I'm getting to be an expert on these. I am in Houston - and this car is from about 30 miles west of me.

I have gotten one 1967 Datsun roadster that was flooded back to running, and have been helping with getting a 66 Mustang going. Mechanically, with an older car it's not that hard to restore from a freshwater flood. It's pretty much a really bad rainstorm that just happens inside the car too lol. The problem is that the flood water was full of dirt too which feeds the mold and other stuff that grows.

This guy probably had Hagerty and they totalled the car - then let him buy it back for 20% of the stated value policy. That's what I've seen happen with my friends the last few weeks.

If anyone would like to bid on it I can help as a partner, picking up the car and "doing triage" on the engine, tranny, and rear end, plus spraying CRC cleaner on the electrical connections etc.

But keep in mind these guys probably picked it up paying around 20% stated value whatever that was...

Cheers
James

jamesw

Reaction score
If that vehicle sits for a month down here in 100% humidity in Houston it will just be a stinking pile of Fe3C

jamesw

Reaction score
Right on Ian - start pestering them now and see if they will get it up for bid soon. It's been pretty hot and sunny and hopefully a lot of the moisture that was in the nooks and crannies has cooked off by now.

Cheers
James

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I inquired about the sale date and got a response saying they are waiting on documents. The listing seems to imply they are waiting on the title.
We'll see.

Cateyes

Reaction score
Good luck
I don’t think you could use the interior at all. This car is not flooded from rain but black water test were done and found chemicals and flesh eating there are some dangerous chemicals which are sold at Home Depot which is used to clean hospitals to kill aids my neighbor Lost a collection of chairs each one about 3k over 100k in furniture not an easy thing to deal with. Please research before you put your hands on it

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a close look at the title status and realized that Texas considers all flood damaged cars as no longer fit to be put on the road. They are considered to be for parts or scrap value only.

This coupe is dead. All that's left is to harvest the parts.

Here's the exact language as provided by the Texas Department of Transportation:

NONREPAIRABLE MOTOR VEHICLE: A "nonrepairable motor vehicle" is a motor vehicle that:
is damaged, wrecked, or burned to the extent that the only residual value of the vehicle is as a source of parts or scrap metal; or
comes into this state under a title or other ownership document that indicates that the vehicle is nonrepairable, junked, or for parts or dismantling only.
A vehicle for which a Nonrepairable Vehicle Title is issued on or after September 1, 2003, may not be rebuilt, retitled, or operated on the public highways.

NonRepairable Vehicle Title.png