fitting alu trim

ABZY

Reaction score
Hi All

What is the best way to fit alu trim - I have a piece to fit on from RH wing and LH door. is there 2 different types of fitting for it? How do I get inside the wing (other than the obvious) - it may be there is no easy way :)

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I put my trim back on (9+ years) but it was so much fun I seem to remember alot of it. The good news for you, is that you're installing a couple of the easier pieces (a couple of the bolts on the rear spears are close to impossible to get at). With exception of a very tight spot next to the door, the fender piece is pretty strait forward. Since the grand design of our beloved coupes called for no front fender liners, you should be able to get at all of those bolts easily. You'll have to remove your right side front grill to get a couple of the forward bolts. You'll have to remove the door panel to get at the bolts for door piece, but that should be the hardest part.

I keep calling them bolts, these 'bolts' are designed to slide in the channel of the trim pieces. The nuts have a special rubber type washer. You might want to buy this hardware new, it will make your job easier.

I hope that helps-

pmansson

Reaction score
Careful

Be sure to not tighten them too much. Average strenght with 2 fingers is enough. No tools!
The holes in the bodywork provide for a bit of adjustment, up and down, so as to align with the adjacent trim. Rear fender trim calls for the rear 1/4 light window mechanism to come out. I have done it once, with them in place, but the hazzle and lost nuts caused me not to try this again. On the latest door pieces, there is a locking piece at the "B-post" end which needs to be pushed out, cut and pushed back in, as otherwise you won´t be able to fit the locking piece at that rearmost hole.
Take your time and have fun !

Tony_V

Reaction score
You can access the nuts through the holes. I can not remember which of them, but it worked fine for me without removing the window and mechanism.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 127

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can fit them through the rear window holes but it isn't straight on and it took Stan and I over an hour to get two nuts on.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan don't forget long reach needle nose pliers

Stan don't forget long reach needle nose pliers