Firewall insulation solutions ?

cpeavey

Reaction score
Water constantly circulates through the heater core. The defrost and footwell heat is controlled by flaps, or dampers, in the heater box. "Instant heat." If the flaps seal properly, the system works great. If you have an owner's manual with your car, it contains a pretty good diagram of how the system works.

Charlie P.

gwittman

Reaction score
If the heater core is constantly hot when the engine is running, wouldn't this also be a source of heat in the cabin during warm weather?

gwittman

Reaction score
If the heater core is constantly hot when the engine is running, wouldn't this also be a source of heat in the cabin during warm weather?

cpeavey

Reaction score
Not a big deal, as long as no air is allowed to circulate through the box. If the flaps that control the air flow aren't sealing shut when the control levers are turned to "off", then you definitely will get unwanted heat.

Charlie

cpeavey

Reaction score
Not a big deal, as long as no air is allowed to circulate through the box. If the flaps that control the air flow aren't sealing shut when the control levers are turned to "off", then you definitely will get unwanted heat.

Charlie

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The heater core does have some minimal insulation wrapped around its sides. It is about 1/8" thick. I am in the process of replacing it. Most of it was originally soft foam that now turns to dust when you touch it. The control flap that lets air pass through the heater fins also has foam padding on it for sealing against the fins while closed.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The heater core does have some minimal insulation wrapped around its sides. It is about 1/8" thick. I am in the process of replacing it. Most of it was originally soft foam that now turns to dust when you touch it. The control flap that lets air pass through the heater fins also has foam padding on it for sealing against the fins while closed.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sven
I'm replacing my heater core too. If you have a photo of what that insulation is supposed to look like Id appreciate seeing a copy.

-David

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sven
I'm replacing my heater core too. If you have a photo of what that insulation is supposed to look like Id appreciate seeing a copy.

-David

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
David,

Here are some pics. I am planning on using a 1/8" neoprene like material - maybe thicker if is fits. The foam around the inlet/outlet tubes was closer to 1/2" thick (covered by the oval plate on the engine compartment side).

Heater1.jpg

Heater2.jpg

Heater3.jpg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
David,

Here are some pics. I am planning on using a 1/8" neoprene like material - maybe thicker if is fits. The foam around the inlet/outlet tubes was closer to 1/2" thick (covered by the oval plate on the engine compartment side).

Heater1.jpg

Heater2.jpg

Heater3.jpg

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos Sven.

My core didn't have any of that insulation left. But am I seeing this correctly--the core as well as the plastic heater box both have this insulation ?

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos Sven.

My core didn't have any of that insulation left. But am I seeing this correctly--the core as well as the plastic heater box both have this insulation ?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just the core. The insulation you see on the heater box around the pipes is between the heater box and the firewall around where the pipes poke through the fire wall.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just the core. The insulation you see on the heater box around the pipes is between the heater box and the firewall around where the pipes poke through the fire wall.