Finally!!!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The CSi I recently sold had weird electrical issues. I.e. if you press the horn, the high-beams would come on as well, but then after a few more honks, no horn, but still the lights. It'd reset if I pull the high beam stalk and wait like 10s.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the horn and lights can be on the same circuit???

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Also, do your windshield wipers work?

Just curious. You may need new switches and if you need to replace them, might as well replace them w/74 style to switch them to the "normal" positions, but will require some re-wiring.

3.0seeker

Reaction score
Also, do your windshield wipers work?

Just curious. You may need new switches and if you need to replace them, might as well replace them w/74 style to switch them to the "normal" positions, but will require some re-wiring.
Yes, windshield wipers do work, however the power windows only operate if the drivers door is open!! So, there's that!

jmackro

Reaction score
if you need to replace them, might as well replace them w/74 style to switch them to the "normal" positions, but will require some re-wiring.

The backward placement of the stalks is one of the charms of the e9 / e3's. If "normal" is your objective, you should be driving a Honda Civic.

Besides, the non-intuitive stalks are a great anti-theft device.

rodspock

Reaction score
I had very similar issues to the electrical issues you describe.

My issue was the instruments and steering column electrics were connected incorrectly into the main loom.

The instrument cluster plugs into the main loom with a 12 (from memory) pin plug, and the steering column loom also joins the main loom with the same plug. They can be connected to the wrong mating 12 pin plugs in the main loom. hence steering column inputs trigger instruments.

Using the wiring diagram and check continuity of wiring colours across these two sets of plugs.

I am pretty certain this is your problem.

Rod

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I decided to pull my antenna last night, and with it the antenna lead that routes behind the dash and to the console. As I tugged on the antenna wire, my hazard lights came on, along with a yellow light in the left gauge cluster. Not directly related to your problem, I immediately thought of this thread. I have gremlins, too. :eek:

3.0seeker

Reaction score
I had very similar issues to the electrical issues you describe.

My issue was the instruments and steering column electrics were connected incorrectly into the main loom.

The instrument cluster plugs into the main loom with a 12 (from memory) pin plug, and the steering column loom also joins the main loom with the same plug. They can be connected to the wrong mating 12 pin plugs in the main loom. hence steering column inputs trigger instruments.

Using the wiring diagram and check continuity of wiring colours across these two sets of plugs.

I am pretty certain this is your problem.

Rod
That's very good to know, thank you. As soon as my Prospero's wiring diagram arrives I will try this.