Finally!!!

3.0seeker

Reaction score
After countless years of admiration, and a few spent searching, I finally have my very own E9!! Now the journey of restoration begins. She's a quirky ole girl with some rust and an electrical issue or three, but she's mine! I don't even mind the slushbox. I live in the Upstate area of South Carolina, (Greenville/Spartanburg) and would love any recommendations for service, not a shop where old BMW's go to die. I plan to take it to the Vinatge in Asheville, NC next week.

I've enjoyed reading these forums for years and like the camaraderie and willingness to help each other out. Kinda counting on that, thanks in advance gentlemen.
20180326_182821.jpg

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
After countless years of admiration, and a few spent searching, I finally have my very own E9!! Now the journey of restoration begins. She's a quirky ole girl with some rust and an electrical issue or three, but she's mine! I don't even mind the slushbox. I live in the Upstate are of South Carolina, (Greenville/Spartanburg) and would love any recommendations for service, not a shop where old BMW's go to die.

I've enjoyed reading these forums for years and like the camaraderie and willingness to help each other out. Kinda counting on that, thanks in advance gentlemen.View attachment 45367

Congratulations. Is it blue or black? Tell us more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats! Looks great in picture!

Nachtblau...sort of like Atlantik. I like it a lot! Diff than your typical Polaris or Fjord.

More pics more pics! Engine, interior, etc.!

One Q: are those front overriders upside down? I dunno. Don't own a USA 73.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One Q: are those front overriders upside down? I dunno. Don't own a USA 73.
I believe those are correct for a US '73. One of my original '73 overriders look like that (the other was torn off). But I am replacing them with '72 rubber - they "look" upside down to my eye. I will probably get criticized for not having original '73 overrider rubbers. :D

tmason

Reaction score
Looks very nice and I haven't this one up for sale? Was it a local car? The only thing about the slush box is that I would start collecting the parts to convert to manual someday. The car really drives better with a manual with much more horsepower. Please post more picture's when you can and Welcome!
Tim

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only thing about the slush box is that I would start collecting the parts to convert to manual someday.
This is good advice. Even if you don't plan on doing the swap, the parts are not always sitting on a shelf for the next owner. It could add great value should you want to sell it one day.

3.0seeker

Reaction score
Looks very nice and I haven't this one up for sale? Was it a local car? The only thing about the slush box is that I would start collecting the parts to convert to manual someday. The car really drives better with a manual with much more horsepower. Please post more picture's when you can and Welcome!
Tim
Here are some shots of the car. Currently it's at a shop for the electrical issues, (6 weeks and not touched yet) image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image2.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image2.jpegimage10.jpegimage3.jpeg

jmackro

Reaction score

m73

Reaction score
Interesting vin tag placement.....looks opposite side of stock.

Nice car to start your project -- lots of info & helpful owners here so good company.

-Mo

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sometimes the power problem is just fuses. Burned out or the tips are corroded. Sometimes the horn contact needs to be cleaned or the horns themselves have stuck from sitting. I found my horn first sounded like a sick cow then after operating it a few times it began to sound better

jmackro

Reaction score
Turn signals, horn and high beams didn't work when purchased, brake lights recently took a dump.

The fact that both your high beams and horn don't work is suspicious. Could be a coincidence, but both are powered by relays located aft of the battery - those two cylindrical things. Might the relays not be getting power? According to my Prospero's diagram, they powered from the same source - a heavy-gauge wire attached to the battery "+" terminal.

Have an assistant press the horn and wiggle the high/low stalk while you have your thumb on the relays - can you feel/hear them clicking? If the relays operate, but the high beams & horn don't, then I think you have isolated the cause. And if the relays don't operate, you have narrowed where to look next.

Last edited:

3.0seeker

Reaction score
The fact that both your high beams and horn don't work is suspicious. Could be a coincidence, but both are powered by relays located aft of the battery - those two cylindrical things. Might the relays not be getting power? (Are they powered from the same source?). Have an assistant press the horn and wiggle the high/low stalk while you have your thumb on the relays - can you feel/hear them clicking? If the relays operate, but the high beams & horn don't, then I think you have isolated the cause. And if the relays don't operate, you have narrowed where to look next.
Thank you very much, we will try that. Wiring diagram already ordered from Prospero's.

3.0seeker

Reaction score

tmason

Reaction score
It looks to be a non sunroof model witch is good for not getting rocker rust as easy? Pull your rocker covers at some point to see the condition.
Ps What is your first name? And thanks for the photo's. Tim

3.0seeker

Reaction score
It looks to be a non sunroof model witch is good for not getting rocker rust as easy? Pull your rocker covers at some point to see the condition.
Ps What is your first name? And thanks for the photo's. Tim
It is a non sunroof model. Rust and cosmetics are going to be addressed after mechanicals are sorted. Terry