final window adjustment

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hope I can get some advice on this one; I thought I fixed this problem by adjusting the door but the rear of the front window is hitting the trim. As you can see in the second picture the front gap is good. I'm thinking there must be some way to adjust the glass forward- or am I missing something?

Thanks

Attachments

• window gap5.jpg
    window gap5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 236
  • window gap6.jpg
    window gap6.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 234

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it looks like the top of the door is too far back. what does the bottom gap look like?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Do you have the vent window frame assembly far enough forward? How is the gap at the seal between the angled vent window and the frame gasket.

Also, check that the rear window bottom outside trim is as far back as it can go.

I suspect using a new felt "U" channel may force the window back a bit. I ended up having a glass shop grind off about 1/8" of the rear edge of the glass.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i have gone through this recently
that is the result of many little things
first is the position of the door, probably too much opened at the front gap
then the triang window frame assembly, fix it with the door opening as close as possible to the front
then the new felt U channel, use a 5mm thick wood piece and hit it with a tubber hammer to place it as in as possible
and then the position of the glass relative to its fixing plate

i mean there is a rectangular steel plate that fixes the glass with three hexagonal bolts, that has a play because the holes in the glass are slightly larger than the fixing points, so if you loose the bolts, you will be able to move the glass forward a bit

i did all this and i can close the door maintainig a gap of 7 mm between the rear trim and the front window

regards

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
will try

In the picture it looks like there is a larger gap at the top but that is because the door is not fully closed. I will try what has been suggested, leaving glass modification as a last resort. Thanks! The glass man is coming this morning and I should be giving her a 30-40 mile test drive this afternoon- Fingers crossed

jmackro

Reaction score
I will try what has been suggested, leaving glass modification as a last resort.

Please don't grind a notch in your window glass - that will mark your car as one that was improperly assembled. The guys at the factory managed to get all these parts to work together, and you can do it too. But admittedly, it is a pain in the &^*(

If it's any consolation, when I reassembled my coupe a few years ago, the driver side went together OK, but the passenger side took hours of re-fitting to solve this problem. In the end, I had to touch everything: rear trim, vent window, window channels, window angle, .... But, it can be done.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks J. I feel a little more empowered now, so I will get er done. I appreciate the comment and since I have spent so much time re-doing things I'm quite used to it!