Filter in power steering ATF reservoir

pmansson

Reaction score
How do I change the filter in the canister?
I open the lid and see the vertical shaft with the feather. I would have thought that this could be pulled up, with its plate at the bottom (which presumably hold the filter down and in place...? but it is stuck. I didn´t pull excessively hard.

MMercury

Reaction score
How do I change the filter in the canister?
I open the lid and see the vertical shaft with the feather. I would have thought that this could be pulled up, with its plate at the bottom (which presumably hold the filter down and in place...? but it is stuck. I didn´t pull excessively hard.
Diagrams below may help. :wink:
23.png
autobooks_manual_110.jpg
autobooks_manual_111.jpg

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks, but on 2 of my cars which have spent a good 10 years in the US, there is a feather locking device (washer) on top of the threaded shaft/screw.
I don´t think my all Euro cars have this, but I need to check.
But shouldn´t the threaded shaft move up easily when pulled?
Again, this doesn´t happen on these 2 cars (makes me think of the stuck head rest pillars discussed very recently), due to the one way locking washer.

From the drawing it appears that the screw/shaft is fixed to the bottom of the container. Therefore I would need to cut the locking washer #7, with pliers in order to get the feather and tray #2 to be taken out and thus free the filter...

Could the installation have been changed by people in the US, taking a shortcut or not knowing how the parts assemble?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peder,

I just took my reservoir apart. The locking washer on the screw/stem just pulled up pretty easily then I lifted out the tray and the filter. The long screw or post looks like it should release from the bottom but it is held in by some tension under a clip. I tried sliding it sideways but it didn't move.

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks Chris,
sorted it out with your and other members´ of this board help.
I now have a new filter securely mounted and the locking washer reused. To nail it down under spring pressure, I used a long lug socket, 13mm or so, to clear the space for the lid.