feeler gauge

bengal taiga

Reaction score
whalem6 said:
Has any one ever seen a feeler gauge and know what the markings say. I think i found one. Call Tom 919-796-2050 or e-mail me at [email protected]

April 1st was some time ago.

This is what you might use if you were to adjust your valves or ignition points. The markings are probably metric and standard decimal.

211MSnDhkHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

whalem6

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is that a picture of an original from a cs tool kit. If so I have one different from that with only 4 blades on it.

MMercury

Reaction score
whalem6 said:
Is that a picture of an original from a cs tool kit. If so I have one different from that with only 4 blades on it.

Feeler gauges come in many shapes and sizes. You did not state in your post any description of the gauge you found or where you found it.

The gauge pictured is typical of the kind many mechanics use. Nothing special about it. Can't speak to the value of the feeler gauge originally found in the tool kits. Easy to overlook and not particularly important if you have a set of gauges as in the picture. Just my humble opinion.

whalem6

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone has ever seen an original. It has 4 blades and is about 4" long and fits it the tool kit just right. A little rusty but good enough to put in the place of the gauge.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
whalem6 said:
Has any one ever seen a feeler gauge and know what the markings say. I think i found one. Call Tom 919-796-2050 or e-mail me at [email protected]
The originals have 4 blades, about 3" long and tapered away from the rivet which holds them together.The markings are 70, 20, 40, 60.

I'll try to get a picture up later.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an original as Bill describes. I also made one from one I found on the internet, only difference is I couldn't find the hollow rivet that holds it together, but in the tool tray you can't tell.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the original finish is and how to 'restore' it?
Every one I have seen has been rusty.

Related question: Were the other tools plated or painted?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think they all rust slightly, a little bronze wool wouldn't hurt, just don't rub off the numbers. The other tools are nickle/chrome I believe. I am fortunate to have the red screwdrivers which I searched a long, long time to find. I now have the blue BMW towel thanks to a close friend.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Unrusted feeler guage(s)--

True they--un-rusted feeler guages--are rare birds--just dropped off an E-9 with CoupeKing for some services with un-rusted example--BLUMAX also has an original that is un-rusted thanks to our rather dry climate. I've seen Chris's make up feeler guage from an internet source--a VG replica and unless one knows what is original and what it looks like--unless removed and inspected by a pro--it passes muster.