Extracting shock from front strut assembly

audiomagnate

Reaction score
I've got a front strut assembly (not in the car BTW) with a Bilstein P36-0029 inside it. Is a spring compressor necessary to get the shock out or is this something I can do myself without special tools?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
You need to compress the spring with a compressor(s) so the strut support/bearing pad can be removed.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Possibly the best money you will ever spend is taking that to a qualified shop with the right tool and being done in 20 minutes for 20 bucks.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a spring compressor break on me last month...

That left one side compressed and the other bent like a banana.

I wanted to walk it over to a dumpster and toss it in like a hand grenade.

still a little shaky about that....

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a spring compressor break on me last month...

That left one side compressed and the other bent like a banana.

I wanted to walk it over to a dumpster and toss it in like a hand grenade.

still a little shaky about that....

Those things are a bit scary. Which kind of compressor was it that broke? On an E9 spring or a newer car spring?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The e30 springs are nasty- very long and require way more work than I want to do. The right tool for them is the wall mount compressor unit.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 130

pamp

Reaction score
Death by spring

Whoa,
That is a scary story and glad you related as springs should be taken seriously. As a young mechanic in training we would hear the stories of death by spring. Also the split rim...
Who makes the wall unit you have pictured? I am in need to buy a decent compressor. Last I had was from the Chinese tool store and good for a few uses. (good enough for repair of abused 'benz suspension, teen driver, numerous times, hard to do to a 123 car!)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have some cheap old compressor that I keep telling myself to throw out before a disaster happens. SFDon's experience makes me think that should be at the top of my to do list.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob,

i agree with that idea, i had one of those old manual compressors (3 threaded rods w/ hooks), one of the hooks let go and the spring shot over my head. this was in the mid 80s ... i don't do that anymore + leave it to professionals

pamp

Reaction score
Lives saved

Yep,
The chinese tool store compressor is going into the scrap metal pile. Time to call the Snap-On guy. Question of ignorance...Will the rear springs drop out of the E9 without the need to compress and capture before hand?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

i agree with that idea, i had one of those old manual compressors (3 threaded rods w/ hooks), one of the hooks let go and the spring shot over my head. this was in the mid 80s ... i don't do that anymore + leave it to professionals

I did my Wife's Acura MDX springs last fall. It was the toughest spring I have ever dealt with. The spring compressor's threads were bent. I ended up needing 4 per coil to get it compressed enough. I think there are compressors that use webbing. Anyone know if they are good?

Last edited:

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will the rear springs drop out of the E9 without the need to compress and capture before hand?

Yes, they will, just barely. You will have to disconnect the top or bottom of the shock so the trailing arm can drop further. You will also want to loosen the two trailing arm bolts (renew these bushings while you are at it).

m_thompson

Reaction score
Yep,
The chinese tool store compressor is going into the scrap metal pile. Time to call the Snap-On guy. Question of ignorance...Will the rear springs drop out of the E9 without the need to compress and capture before hand?

I have a Snap-On spring compressor. It weighs about 30 lbs and is built very well. I never worry about it breaking and flinging a spring around the garage.

pamp

Reaction score
Snap-on

Curious what your Snap-on compressor cost as well as the order #. My previous Snap-on dealers have my first born as well as 16 vestal virgins. All worth it.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Curious what your Snap-on compressor cost as well as the order #. My previous Snap-on dealers have my first born as well as 16 vestal virgins. All worth it.

Actually it was free. A friend moved to California and gave me his engine hoist, chain saw, spring compressor, and collection of oil & transmission fluid.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Autozone carries a pretty decent quality comp for $35 or so. I had to return 2 to Napa, both were fubarred after one usage, and couldn't see a difference between those and Harbor Freight