euro b34 engine - spark plugs ?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow, I was starting to get nervous until Don weighed in. I don't recall what Don installed on my M30B34 but since I've been acquiring spare parts for most of my components this last year (last week I bought a water pump), I guess I can feel confident with the NGKs. The Bosch made in Germany stuff does not appear available anywhere...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i appreciate the sage advice of my friends Stevehose and SFDon. i had already decided to cancel the ebay order on the wr8dc plugs and go with the NGK's, but reading the recommendations clinched the deal and reaffirmed my thoughts. its always great with a strong support gruppe.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe Don can suggest what gap these plugs should be at? I'm thinking the gap out of the box is not ideal?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There was a discussion on here somewhere not too long ago regarding the need, or lack thereof, for "resistor" plugs. I haven't found the thread, but seem to recall that the resistor in the plugs is unnecesary/redundant in (many of) our cars.?.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think noise became an issue with the old l/jet system with the signal from the distributor to the spark box which was shielded, and the shielded wire from the dampener to the diagnostic plug for TDC. That may have been the first shielded wires. After that would come shielded wires for speed sensor and reference sensor at the flywheel. After that in 83 was shielded wire on the 745i turbo with the knock sensors and the cylinder identification sensor. Followed by shielded wires to the throttle position sensor on automatic and shielded wire to the oxygen sensor ...

TodB

Reaction score
In my hopped up B34 motor, i.e. B34 lower end, B35 pistons, 10:1, bigger valves, etc. in my E28, I used NGK BP5ES. Sigh, miss that car.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
after sure 10....20 rallys with the Bosch W8LCR i mounted NGK ZGR5A .... they only lasted 3 rallys and are already flooding....OK, the engine runs "rich" but the difference is great.... while nothing changed to the jetting.

I will now try NGK BP5ES

is a Bosch heatrange 8 the same as a NGK 5 ???

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
just a observation.... the NGK ZGR5A has a central electrode lenght just a Bosch W8LCR.... but the NGK BP5ES has a shorter one.
(Only the NGK ZGR5A has a V cut in the electrode)

SAM_2505.JPG

restart

Reaction score
Barry, Looks like you be running a bit rich;) jk!

Where r people buying copper non resistorplugs, and buy people I mean don, ha!

Are the kingsborne wires zero resistance.?

So, off the shelf regular parts person has..
resistor plugs,
resistor wires,
resistor plug connectors,
resistor rotor

Oh and let’s throw in a resistor coil with a ballast resistor. Sounds like a plot made by electric car drivers.

Who even uses a radio these days.

Anyways, just trying to see what a zero resistance ignition feels like but it’s not easy to source the pRts.
Cheers
Some of you seniors might get why I am adding Buffalo Springfield for what’s it worth to the ramble.

just a observation.... the NGK ZGR5A has a central electrode lenght just a Bosch W8LCR.... but the NGK BP5ES has a shorter one.
(Only the NGK ZGR5A has a V cut in the electrode)

View attachment 46522