Engine questions .

Paul02

Reaction score
I bought an engine from a 1982 M535i , E12 a few years back with the intention of fitting it in my late 73 cs. I have all the injection etc but the engine has been sitting on a pallet in my garage for about 3yrs . What should I do to the engine while it's out of the car or is it too old and should I use a later bmw engine to transplant.
Thanks Paul
ps
The reason I am changing is I want injection not carbs and the E12 engine is 9yrs younger and I am told more powerful , although 3.0 is enough for me.

61porsche

Reaction score
M, E-12 engine....

Paul,

It's a very rare engine in the formation of BMW Motorsports. 3.5 same displacement as the last M30s, so no there would be no advantage to a newer motor. In fact, some opinions are that the motor is better. Definately a keeper.

Let's assume you bought it and knew at the time it had been running....
The common equation in a swap is to do the prudent things that should be done for long life and preventative maintenance. First, make sure it turns over and isn't stuck. All good... then start by replacing the consummables.. new water pump, starter, etc. Then on to the things that can leak... front seal, rear seal, new pan gasket, etc. Things you want to do easily now than having to deal with them in the car. There are excellent articles out there like from Firstfives which detail swaps and what should be done.

Ok, now for the other side of the coin, you haven't said what FI system? There is some merit to upgrading the ecu and injectors to the latest Motronic 1.3 which has better management capabilites and some diagnostics. But my personal opinion if it were me... swap and get it going first unless you really want to hotrod it up with a cam, headwork, etc. But , this engine will have more hp and torque than the 3.0.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

Cs Australia

Reaction score
e12 1981 m535i donor

I have stumbled across a complete engine from a 1981 E12 euro m535i, does it fit into my 1973 CSi.
Engine is complete with running gear.

Im just starting my CSi project and want to move to a 3.5lt

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
81 transplant

Yes, it fits. It's basically a Euro M90 as I know it and an excellent choice in my opinion.

Virtually all M30 variants fit, some just look more period correct.