Engine lift problems

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi gang,

Sending my E9 off to Don for a little TLC.
My only job this whole year has been to get the engine out.
Just like my teenagers, I wait until the last minute to do my homework!

I've take off most of the paraphernalia the repair manual suggests. I have a few stumpers left though.

What I have going for me:
4 point lift
Engine lift with load leveler

However, someone did not replace the side lever above the water pump for the front lift attachment!
DSC02597.jpg

Any suggestions on what to attach the front chains to?
The rear block attachment is easy to find.

Also,
I'll be removing the engine and 4 spd manual transmission together. I've taken the wood knob off the shift lever, but would I have to take the shift lever off as well? It just seems to spin on the inner rod.
Is the inner shift rod easy to remove?
Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I dropped my engine with the subframe so I can’t speak to whether the “inner shift rod” needs to be removed. The vertical rod connects to the horizontal rod under the car. The vertical rod has an eyelet and the horizontal rod wraps around it. Both rods have a hole that a steel bar slides through. Assuming you DO remove it, there is a little hex key “set screw” that holds the bar in place. Remove the set screw then slide the bar out. The disconnect point is under the car where the vertical shift rod meets the horizontal one.

Don’t forget the reverse switch, and the slave cylinder line.

Where did you disconnect the exhaust?

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I disconnected in front of the front muffler, took the back end out and then detached the down pipes from the exhaust manifolds from below.
DSC02588.jpg

Last edited:

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Rick,

Our thought was to tinker with taking an engine apart. With Obi-Don-Kenobi's help, we were able to figure out it is an 1983 block with 1985 head, so not original.

I asked our local BMW deal if they had the shackle. They said it's only available from the German warehouse.

Don's solution was easy. I actually found an M8x80 at Lordco, Home Depot only went up to 70mm. In the end, the 80 seemed a bit too long, the washer and shackle were still loose when it bottomed out. I went with the 70mm.

DSC02635.jpg

It was amazing how near vertical you need to get the engine and transmission to slip out from the top.

Don's advice was to take it out the bottom. Barring that option, he would split it up to make the engine as short as possible.Bell housing off, transmission off, AC off etc...

Being old, foolish and above all - lazy, I went out the top with everything attached.

If I were to do it again from the top I would:

A- listen to Don's advice
B- make the front chain as short as possible
C- listen to Don's advice
D- get an industrial load leveller. They must come in different sizes. Mine would bind, but it did the job.
E- listen to Don's advice
F- Take all the paraphernalia off the firewall first. We are at that point in the picture , racing to get things off.
G- listen to Don's advice

DSC02638.jpg

Did anyone notice the cork in the rubber tube?!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and as we all know ... its the little things that make things better. Don has found several small items that make a big difference when replacing an engine. this shackle is just one of many. keep us going the right way Don. it raises all of our cars

cheers
scott

stphers

Reaction score
Thanks Chris but was interested in this one for a future rebuild because it is not too far from me. But he is going to keep it and he and his son are going to have some fun taking it apart. I have 2 3.0 lt engines at the shop now for rebuild.

Thanks, Rick