Engine disassembly questions

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After 5 years I have finally decided to remove all of the bottom end of my original motor. I want to keep the block since its numbers match the chassis. Not sure if that will ever make a difference but it's a comparatively easy thing to do.

A few questions:

1: what hardware do you keep in case someone wants to put it back together 20 years down the road. Keeping in mind that I am trying to reduce the size and weight of this (useless to me) lump of metal. Pistons? Con rods? Crankshaft? Timing chains? Nuts and bolts?

2: what size is the big nut that holds the pulleys on the right front side. It looks like a 36 maybe? It looks like I have to remove it in order to remove the crankshaft, right?

IMG_1959.jpeg

3: how do you remove the oil pump and chain assembly? After removing the two M8 bolts that secure it to the block, the chain still has enough tension that I can't lift it out. And that keeps me from accessing the last of the crankshaft journal caps

IMG_1958.jpeg

4: is there a trick to removing the con rod bearing caps? They barely move if I tap them with a hammer lightly. But I can't pull them out by hand. Vice grips maybe?

IMG_1957.jpeg

Thank you

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remove sprocket from oil pump. Damper is something like 300 ft/lbs, why remove it? If you do remove 8 bolts holding the pulley, lock the flywheel and use an impact gun. Don’t keep chains and stuff.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris is clear- the pump is held down by the tension on the chain.
you either have three bolts that you need to remove or one nut that you need to remove, do so, and the sprocket and the chain will come off the shaft of the body of the pump. Once you do that the pump is free to remove.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After removing the nuts on the rod bolts and using a brass punch only and a small hammer, you tap the bolt until it loosens the bolt and slightly moves the piston. At that point the cap will be loose to remove.
Whats holding you up is the close register of the bolt.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok. I think I got everything out except that 36mm for the pulleys.

But if I need a "crank holding tool" it might be time to bring it to someone who already has both of these tools. Not worth buying just for a one time use

IMG_1967.jpeg

IMG_1969.jpeg