Emblem material

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know off the top of their head what the trunk emblems are made from? Plating guy wants to know what is under the chrome.

Thanks,

Jake

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know off the top of their head what the trunk emblems are made from? Plating guy wants to know what is under the chrome.

Thanks,

Jake

Assuming they are original, it is all polished aluminum.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks,

Jake

i would consider going to another plating guy,
if your plating guy does not know the answer to that question,...ahum !
but also notice that we can not help if we dont see your emblems, who knows what do you have in your car after all these years
imprecise questions lead to imprecise answers
imho

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to move forward on this job from the road so I'm not home with the parts to take them to the plating guy in person. Had I realized that there is more than one choice of materials, I would have waited until I'm home to start my search. I'm home on the 20th so I'll take it in and see what he says then.

Thanks again,

Jake

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What Markos said..no plate, just polished aluminum

Thanks for validating. I figured this would spark a great debate. :D Those nasty steel clamping washers work so well because they bite into the soft aluminum posts on the badges and roundel.

i wonder if it is only polished
polished alu gets oxidized and becomes dull quickly,
this might be anodized or laquered on top of the paint

I’m guessing BMW used the same coating as the belt trim, front grille, etc. I don’t know if that is clear anodizing or something else. What I do know is that my car has been subjected to decades of neglect and the rear badge is cloudy, but not corroded. So my vote would be polished and coated just like the belts...

032636B9-C689-447D-802C-FF2F256711F6.jpeg