Electric e9 to be built in Austin

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Moment Motor Co here in Austin just took delivery of a customer’s e9 for an electric conversion. They are currently wrapping up a 2002 project, as well. They’ve come out to our monthly C&Cs and also presented at MidAmerica02Fest last Spring.

http://instagr.am/p/B06yZ02Fe7h/
Ed

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This could very well be the only way drivable classics survive in the future once ours are banned from the roads for various political and economic reasons.

Honolulu

Reaction score
I don't think classic cars will ever be "banned". It simply doesn't make sense for the relatively small numbers of cars that would qualify. What would be the overall benefit? To do so would be a politically unpopular stance, albeit with a small fraction of the voting public.

There are plenty of vehicles that eat a lot of gas. Although pressure is brought on manufacturers to raise their CAFE numbers, BMW has (I read elsewhere) always paid the most CAFE standard fines of any manufacturer. I don't see that changing until/unless BMW goes all-electric or at least, all hybrid. Electric and hybrid vehicles are only less than 4% of new cars sold.

My wife and I ponder a plug-in hybrid occasionally. There are at least five Priuses in our immediate neighborhood, and their owners love them. Still, why would I spend $20K-plus to replace a car I already have? The payback period is ludicrous. Let's say we drive 10,000 miles a year at 20 gpm, that's 500 gallons of gas at $3/gallon, or $1500/year. It'll take 13.3 years to recover if my hybrid is fueled for free. The new car would come with higher insurance costs too.... gasoline still rules the economics, except to politicians, or unless you have to buy another can anyway. Then there's the used market waiting for you. Sorry for going on but I are engineer and Total Cost of Ownership is very much in my mind of late.

Still, stranger things have happened, and continue to occur.

Reactions: Rek

Rek

Reaction score
I don't think classic cars will ever be "banned". It simply doesn't make sense for the relatively small numbers of cars that would qualify. What would be the overall benefit? To do so would be a politically unpopular stance, albeit with a small fraction of the voting public.

There are plenty of vehicles that eat a lot of gas. Although pressure is brought on manufacturers to raise their CAFE numbers, BMW has (I read elsewhere) always paid the most CAFE standard fines of any manufacturer. I don't see that changing until/unless BMW goes all-electric or at least, all hybrid. Electric and hybrid vehicles are only less than 4% of new cars sold.

My wife and I ponder a plug-in hybrid occasionally. There are at least five Priuses in our immediate neighborhood, and their owners love them. Still, why would I spend $20K-plus to replace a car I already have? The payback period is ludicrous. Let's say we drive 10,000 miles a year at 20 gpm, that's 500 gallons of gas at $3/gallon, or $1500/year. It'll take 13.3 years to recover if my hybrid is fueled for free. The new car would come with higher insurance costs too.... gasoline still rules the economics, except to politicians, or unless you have to buy another can anyway. Then there's the used market waiting for you. Sorry for going on but I are engineer and Total Cost of Ownership is very much in my mind of late.

Still, stranger things have happened, and continue to occur.
The UK promotes classic car ownership by allowing the regulations and costs to be removed. We pay no road tax nor need an annual check. We are allowed into 'congestion zones' where charging usually takes place and low emission zones or free.

It seems from the wording on this legislation that they see this as preserving heritage and there are so few classics that they really don't make a big difference to global warming or pollution.

For those who still like internal combustion and don't relish driving a sewing machine like contraption, however fast and easy to drive, then the classic car will be the natural course for them to take.

Ergo - classic car demand increases, more are brought back from the dead and values rise. This will also resolve the a**e backwards gestalt equation that our cars cost more to resurrect than they are worth once living again.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
More on the subject from the UK...including another e9

1566393852583.png