Early Bday present for me: 38 Petri

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I haven't taken apart the wheel yet (will do later), but here's the hub cover I ordered from Dan:

hub-cover.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The bubbles are trapped inside and the surface is very smooth, but yes, I will certainly pass on your point, Mark.

I’d like to add that my/ our friend Marcos has been very constructive in his opinions in all matters concerning our beloved cars.
Infact, he is always my first POC and the one whose advise and support i constantly seek.

Wladek

Reaction score
For my part, I’m very thankful for someone taking it upon themselves to consider making something we could all need, since the Petri is undoubtedly the wheel of choice.
The covers’ function is only to hide the (pretty) hub and if it’s painted black with slight structure, it will do very well as a replacement piece, thinks me! The eye appreciates the Petri and takes the cover for granted.
You can also vacuum the resin out of the pour. Not my hub cover but I will be using resin to restore a factory wheel.
Resin without anything else is very fragile itself (much more fragile than plastic in our 40 years petri's:confused:); to be durable it need core, something like fiber glass, carbon or kevlar, at least one layer. Couple years ago i had a hobby - RC; i fabricate some parts for my needs from carbon and fiber glass, so i know what i am talking about. Actually from RC hobby started my E9 project, after E9 purchase i resigned from RC. Maybe after e9 will made & my son grows up we will return to RC together & fabricate something else.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
These 2 pics will show the differences between the coupeguy and stock Petri hubs. Stock hub is on the left with the narrow lips. Also note the much thicker plastic construction. Bottom pic shows how the coupeguy hubs fits over the 3 spokes, making a very tidy fit. Better fit than the Petri hub actually. The lips can be easily trimmed with a Dremel and a thin cutter blade using slow to medium speed with the tool.
D969BE7D-DCAF-4E9C-9920-FC69EB33B272.jpeg

410764AB-3969-45DA-A4DF-7C9C530D312F.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
These 2 pics will show the differences between the coupeguy and stock Petri hubs. Stock hub is on the left with the narrow lips. Also note the much thicker plastic construction. Bottom pic shows how the coupeguy hubs fits over the 3 spokes, making a very tidy fit. Better fit than the Petri hub actually. The lips can be easily trimmed with a Dremel and a thin cutter blade using slow to medium speed with the tool.
View attachment 39369
View attachment 39370
I don't know if i understood you correct Bert.
But on your photo - right one is indeed repro. On my photo it is 100% original petri, it came with bmw petri steering wheel that had no sign of metal ring welds, i don't know if anybody noticed, how rough is surface in coupeguy hub cover you showed if compare to mine or teahead photo's.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bert,
The left original cover has even the petri stamp, very cool. Didn’t notice that before. Can you tell us if it’s the csl length or the slightly shorter e9 one.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the petri cover for my 40cm petri (which does not have the ring) is just like the one that Dan has made. i haven't really looked at the 38cm petri ... i'm not really sure that it matters that much as the ring with the screws in it covers the plastic up.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I for one am glad that Dan has made a cover, rough edges or not. As Scott correctly points out, those bits are all covered and for a repro, it’s a great looking product.
It’s easy to sit back and knit pick, I’d buy that cover from Dan instantly if I was missing one.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know if i understood you correct Bert.
But on your photo - right one is indeed repro. On my photo it is 100% original petri, it came with bmw petri steering wheel that had no sign of metal ring welds, i don't know if anybody noticed, how rough is surface in coupeguy hub cover you showed if compare to mine or teahead photo's.

I’ve always assumed the coupeguy hub with its extended lips is his own design. It may very well be a very rare Petri design of which I’ve never seen before. The CG hub texture is a little rougher than the stock Petri hubs.

Bert,
The left original cover has even the petri stamp, very cool. Didn’t notice that before. Can you tell us if it’s the csl length or the slightly shorter e9 one.

It’s the shorter e3/e9 hub cover. I checked all my Stock Petri covers including the CSL cover and they all have the Petri logo.
the petri cover for my 40cm petri (which does not have the ring) is just like the one that Dan has made. i haven't really looked at the 38cm petri ... i'm not really sure that it matters that much as the ring with the screws in it covers the plastic up.

Well, it will matter if the CG hub is going to be mounted over a ringed Petri. It’s not possible to fit over the center ring as is without modification.

I for one am glad that Dan has made a cover, rough edges or not. As Scott correctly points out, those bits are all covered and for a repro, it’s a great looking product.
It’s easy to sit back and knit pick, I’d buy that cover from Dan instantly if I was missing one.

On the contrary, Dan’s repro hub cover has been universally praised as a great and much needed Petri part. Now, if only he were to make an extended cover for the CSL hub in addition to the shorter cover he offers now. As I stated previously, perfit fit for a non-ringed Petri, but for a ringed Petri, the extended lips have to be trimmed for the cover fitment.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
4CC9EFA1-48FC-4132-8967-7DE853370638.jpeg

Clockwise from top-right: standard e3/e9 cover- 94mm or 3 11/16”, CG repro- 92mm or 3 5/8”, shorter 2002- 86mm or approx. 3 3/8”, extended CSL cover- 103mm or 4”. The angle of the shot does not reflect on the various length differences. More hub info HERE.

Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Part numbers on various Petri hubs and what size wheel and model they go with. Last 7 digits of complete part #’s, disregard the .1 at the very end. These numbers and wheels are factory reference info for specific models, but obviously they can be bought back then from BMW to mount on any model as you deem fit. Have not been able to find an image of the “192” unit.

1112244- 38cm leather wheel as fitted only on CSL.
1109738- 40cm foam wheel as fitted on e3 and e9 models.
1109739- 38cm foam wheel as fitted on various 2002s. Believe this particular hub is fitted with a horn
contact ring in place of the plunger pin. Believe this hub is the same height as the 35cm units. Due to some new info, I could be wrong in my assumption of the contact ring. Need to do more investigation.
11113192- 35cm foam wheel with horn plunger pin.
1109740- same as above. Probably superseded above also.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I definitely have a 2002 hub cover. No wonder why the hub snout sticks out so much on the other end.

CG cover also larger in diameter:

20180119_192831_HDR-1.jpg

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
FEA863D5-BA87-4E11-B703-AF4AE9F6688F.jpeg
Looks like the welded on ring was removed at some point. The new CG hub should mount straight on with no mod required. Guess you are in luck. Your Petri set up ought to look exactly like this now.