Early Bday present for me: 38 Petri

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Saw this on EBay.de:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/263431394425

Many thanks to Keshav for recommending me to buy it when I asked for his opinion.

She's not perfect, but a good driver wheel. I ordered a new cover from coupeguy as this one has been repaired. Maybe I can sell. It's really not too bad. Just glad it's got the right hub. 20180118_190650-1.jpg 20180118_190701-1.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looks well bought Rob ... good idea to seek Keshav's opinion, he knows Petri wheels quite well. the metal looks to be in great shape

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
You got a great deal Teahead. Does the wheel have the welded center ring? If yes, then you’ll have to modify the coupeguy hub. The upper hub lips (3) are much broader and made of a thicker plastic than the stock Petri hub. It was made to fit the “no ring” Petris. In order to fit the coupeguy hub onto a ringed Petri, you’ll have to trim much of the 3 lips off, without doing so, fitting it over the center ring is an impossibility.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You got a great deal Teahead. Does the wheel have the welded center ring? If yes, then you’ll have to modify the coupeguy hub. The upper hub lips (3) are much broader and made of a thicker plastic than the stock Petri hub. It was made to fit the “no ring” Petris. In order to fit the coupeguy hub onto a ringed Petri, you’ll have to trim much of the 3 lips off, without doing so, fitting it over the center ring is an impossibility.

No idea. I'll take it apart and see.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most Petris I’ve seen don’t have the metal ring. My csl Petri does.
That’s another unknown factor as to which Petris have the rings and why. That it lends strength is obvious, but why some with and most without.
Any one with an idea as to why?

Wladek

Reaction score
Most Petris I’ve seen don’t have the metal ring. My csl Petri does.
That’s another unknown factor as to which Petris have the rings and why. That it lends strength is obvious, but why some with and most without.
Any one with an idea as to why?
I think it much depend on production period.
One thing to add about steering wheels with or without metal holding ring for hub cover. There are two types of BMW plastic hub covers (original), from outside they are the same, they are just different in place of inside mounts (1: steering with metal ring, hub have shorter inside mounts, because metal ring hold cover, while 2. steering without metal ring, hub have longer inside mounts, because after tightening screws steering wheel & hub hold hub cover).

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think it much depend on production period.
One thing to add about steering wheels with or without metal holding ring for hub cover. There are two types of BMW plastic hub covers (original), from outside they are the same, they are just different in place of inside mounts (1: steering with metal ring, hub have shorter inside mounts, because metal hold cover, while 2. steering without metal ring, hub have longer inside mount and little bit thicker, because after tightening screws steering wheel & hub hold hub cover itself).

Pictures of both types?

Wladek

Reaction score
Pictures of both types?
I only have one without metal ring.
I actually was too hurry up with writing about thickness of cover mounts, actually they are the same, i forgot that metal ring is welded under the steering & the thickness of steering in both of course is the same.
20180119_174205.jpg

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Wladek.
Just learnt something new regarding the hub covers. And in fact, when I think about it, there is certainly a difference in the tabs.
Rob/ teahead will surely soon shed light since he has ordered a cover which is designed for the, without ring, Petri.
Someone recently sent me a sample cover in the making, and the tabs were longer and thicker than my csl/ with ring, cover tabs, which caused me some irritation.
Now I know why. So someone buying a (new) cover for with ring Petri, will have to file the tabs to have the right fit. Wow!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
777B5CBA-F76B-478C-8AFF-DA8D75AB3E12.jpeg
B5311AC0-7AA3-459B-8469-8EE8B01F2289.jpeg
Here is my CSL Petri with the metal ring and hub attached. The tabs look very much like the other type like in my sample cover, the differences are fairly minimal in thickness and depth of the tabs

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The tabs on Wladeks’ cover are new to me. Haven’t seen that type before, which doesn’t mean much as I’m learning too.

Thanks to this illustrious forum and its members gladly sharing the accumulated knowledge.

Wladek

Reaction score
The tabs on Wladeks’ cover are new to me. Haven’t seen that type before, which doesn’t mean much as I’m learning too.

Thanks to this illustrious forum and its members gladly sharing the accumulated knowledge.
I think one without metal ring is newer version. I think Petri did it because version with metal ring was almost impossible to disassemble without damaging metal ring or plastic hub cover.

Wladek

Reaction score
View attachment 39361 View attachment 39360 Here is my CSL Petri with the metal ring and hub attached. The tabs look very much like the other type like in my sample cover, the differences are fairly minimal in thickness and depth of the tabs
I don't know Keshav if that transparent hub cover is beta version or not, but to be true i think resin is not the best material for that part.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know Keshav if that transparent hub cover is beta version or not, but to be true i think resin is not the best material for that part.

For my part, I’m very thankful for someone taking it upon themselves to consider making something we could all need, since the Petri is undoubtedly the wheel of choice.
The covers’ function is only to hide the (pretty) hub and if it’s painted black with slight structure, it will do very well as a replacement piece, thinks me! The eye appreciates the Petri and takes the cover for granted.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
For my part, I’m very thankful for someone taking it upon themselves to consider making something we could all need, since the Petri is undoubtedly the wheel of choice.
The covers’ function is only to hide the (pretty) hub and if it’s painted black with slight structure, it will do very well as a replacement piece, thinks me! The eye appreciates the Petri and takes the cover for granted.

You can also vacuum the resin out of the pour. Not my hub cover but I will be using resin to restore a factory wheel.