E9 rear bumper over-rider

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I noticed on pics that some e9 don’t have this over-rider and some do? What is the deal were some models without them? I got my car with no bumpers just now I bought front complete bumper and rear bumper with no over-rider. Is it possible to install it without over-rider and what than holds bumper in place. I can’t really tell because some holes for potential carriers were filled out by previous owners.
338779.jpg

Thanks

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are referred to as "underriders" - They ride under the bumper :) They don't secure the bumper, and you don't need them. They just bolt into place. They tend to collect sand and muck so I think most are missing due to rust issues.

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They are referred to as "underriders" - They ride under the bumper :) They don't secure the bumper, and you don't need them. They just bolt into place. They tend to collect sand and muck so I think most are missing due to rust issues.

Great! Thanks than only concern will be to find out where bumpers were originally bolted on the car

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You will see coupes with and without. Some remove them if they have become rusty. I do not have them on. When my car was repainted, the rear panel was replaced. The new piece did not have the holes and I decided to leave them off. They connect to the bumper and to the body of the car so one day I could drop the bumper and hang them

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On 1973 US models there is a rubber spacer about 1.5" thick between the underrider and the body.
...but even if your car is a 73, you may have earlier style bumpers if your car had been hit, the earlier bumpers are easier to source, so your car may have that.

m_thompson

Reaction score
...but even if your car is a 73, you may have earlier style bumpers if your car had been hit, the earlier bumpers are easier to source, so your car may have that.
The Euro and earlier bumpers are the same as on the '73 (except for the over- and under-riders), but the brackets are different. You can swap the '73 bumper brackets to the earlier ones for a better look, but you need to drill new holes for the ends of the bumpers in the fenders and quarter panels.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What year is your car? Comparing my 73 rear bumper to my 71 the mounting holes and bracket are different. 73 appears to have more reinforcement. The underriders as Markos said do not do much and are independently just sitting under the bumper. You don't need them unless you like the look of them. The rubber portion are hard to find I say.
Look inside the trunk after taking out the tail lights and sends us some pictures. Also send us some pictures of the bolt holes on bumpers you have .
On 71 there are two holes on each side about three inches apart whic lines up on the holes to the body of the car.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Without the under-riders, the rear bumpers tend to sag into the middle were they are jointed. Think this was the reason why BMW implemented them in the later coupes (late 2800's maybe ?).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's what i thought, thanks for confirming Chris. i see the holes on the lower valance on teahead's coupe.

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What year is your car? Comparing my 73 rear bumper to my 71 the mounting holes and bracket are different. 73 appears to have more reinforcement. The underriders as Markos said do not do much and are independently just sitting under the bumper. You don't need them unless you like the look of them. The rubber portion are hard to find I say.
Look inside the trunk after taking out the tail lights and sends us some pictures. Also send us some pictures of the bolt holes on bumpers you have .
On 71 there are two holes on each side about three inches apart whic lines up on the holes to the body of the car.

Mine is 74" but I bought it from 72"... have to pick them up in Italy this week and check what i bought. I will post pics here. Tail lights have to go out to install rear bumper?

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_2023.PNG
IMG_2024.PNG
Mine is 74" but I bought it from 72"... have to pick them up in Italy this week and check what i bought. I will post pics here. Tail lights have to go out to install rear bumper?
Removing Trunk floor boards will give you acess to the bolts. However I would remove the tail lights so you can have better access and you can see much better what you are doing.
Top picture shows later variety which I think came out in late 1971 for 1972 models and later. I guess that would be for all 3.0CS. Your 1974 European model should be like this one. If your car doesn't have the under riders item "7" the rubber that touches the body is not available from all sources I checked .
Second picture shows the earlier model.
from the back of the car both type bumpers look identical if you stand about 5 feet away. car when you looking however the later model (top picture ) is much better design and it has a beefier internal brace inside the trunk. Both types attached to the car with two bolts. However the later type has a loop bracket (see photo) that attaches with one bolt to the bumper and with two to the car I would say that on later model there is slightly more gap in between the car and the bumper. Notice both pictures show the underriders and I think the difference is the addition of item "7 " the rubber piece.