E46 - Bodywork

cdavie2002

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in the UK, Iv had my e46 4years now, and added about 45K to the clock. This is starting to show cosmetically....

As well as flaked off paint on the bonnet, rust is starting to form on the bottom of the DS door as well as fold/creased areas of the bodywork. Looking for links to body-shops in the London area as well as any advice.
Thought is to replace both wings, then deal with the other issues; hopefully avoiding a full re-spray as the large areas are spotless and would come up brilliant with a decent cut & polish.

Its had plenty of attention to the mechanicals, but the bodywork is now letting it down. Im not one for new cars, I plan on keeping this car on the road.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMAG1378 (2).jpg
    IMAG1378 (2).jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG1379 (2).jpg
    IMAG1379 (2).jpg
    151 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG1380 (2).jpg
    IMAG1380 (2).jpg
    323 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG1381 (2).jpg
    IMAG1381 (2).jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAG1382 (2).jpg
    IMAG1382 (2).jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG1383 (2).jpg
    IMAG1383 (2).jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 120

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not really worth the money to respray a garden variety E46. To deal with that properly costs more than the average E46 is worth. I have one myself. For that type of rust. if you just want to slow it down. scrape off the bubbling paint and put vaseline on the wound every 3 months.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, if you are keeping the car, the spots are not big enough to be a huge concern. Patch job should be fine unless you can find a hood and fender of the same color with no rust!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not really worth the money to respray a garden variety E46. To deal with that properly costs more than the average E46 is worth. I have one myself. For that type of rust. if you just want to slow it down. scrape off the bubbling paint and put vaseline on the wound every 3 months.
A good quality paste was can work better than vaseline. Regardless, if you keep the the air and water from the steel, it won't rust further, but that requires diligence and most folk would prefer to fix it once. You could buy a color matched spray can and touch up the spots yourself in an afternoon, but proper prep is the key to making it look good and last.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Once the rust starts there is no stopping and it will spread eventually no matter what the precautions are, E9s love rust :(:(

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Knock off the rust, sand the smallest area possible with 320 or 400 and touch up with paint from an online touch up paint place. Done right most people don't notice.