E3 VDO Dash Clock Removal

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience taking the clock out of the dash without having to remove the entire dash? I pulled the wood fascia trim off above the glove box but the clock is not cooperating coming out. I will get the periscope out but need to borrow one. Hard to tell what is going on by feel only. I remember reading somewhere about a trick to removing it. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

MatthewCervi

Reaction score
I haven't taken my clock out before , but I peeked up there with a camera today and I see two plastic nuts by the clock, a big one for the trim and a smaller one I assume for the clock (and probably another pair on the other side, but there wasn't enough light for me to get a picture).
IMG_1959.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I assume it is just like the speedo; there are two knurled metal nuts that thread onto studs protruding from the back of the dash. To remove the clock, you loosen those two knurled nuts and then rotate the clock counterclockwise so as to move the two tabs on the clock away from the knob and post. Once you move it far enough (say 1/2 inch), the clock drops out of the back of the dash.

To install the clock, turn it counterclockwise about 1/2 from its installed position, move it into place snugly against the trim, and turn it clockwise. The threaded stud holding the knurled nuts should contact the little ears sticking up from the top of the tabs and stop the turning movement of the clock once you get it properly oriented. Then you simply tighten the knurled nuts onto the tabs and they hold the clock to the dash.