E3 selling at Copart San Jose today...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Forklifts don't hurt things in the center, just some floor pan dents sometimes. On the later cars they screw up the front bumper. The crack in the oil pan is about four inches long right in the center with no scuff marks around it. It either landed on top of sometime while not moving or a jack was put under it. Probably not repairable though.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, I've been working on the new property day and night and haven't been able to do much with the car, but I have decided to buy it. The ignition wires were so old on the engine that they literally broke when I pulled on them, along with some very cruddy plugs. I did a compression test and got readings from 115-130. Not great, but considering it was cold and probably the first time its turned over in many years I'm fine with those numbers. I pulled the wires off of a spare M30 I have, put some new plugs in, sprayed some carb clearner in the carbs and it fired! Yay. There's still no oil in the engine so it only ran for about three or four seconds, long enough to know that the engine sounds good.

Next is to pull the pan and have my friend weld it up so I can put oil in it. Oh yeah, I also bought an AirLift Performance air suspension that was on a Lexus that came in. Front and rear struts with bags that are very close to the size on the E3, plus the rest of the system... compressor, tank, etc. I wouldn't have looked for air suspension except that a nice system landing in my face. What the hell, might as well have some fun with it...

IMG_20171205_154054643.jpg

IMG_20171205_154239772.jpg

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, looks promising. Happy you saved this one Dan. Proves that you CAN polish a turd! But seriously, this one looks like it has "good bones". Best of luck, will look forward to progress updates :)

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
ugh, I have been looking for an airride setup but im too cheap to buy new. Let me know if you decide to go a different way.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
ugh, I have been looking for an airride setup but im too cheap to buy new. Let me know if you decide to go a different way.

I will. I'm not sure why I'm doing this in the first place. My plan is to get the car running, then get it driving, then take it to my friend who is an auto fabricator. He does incredible work and has built many air-ride vehicles in the past. It looks like it might work based on looking at it for about 10 seconds. LOL

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will. I'm not sure why I'm doing this in the first place. My plan is to get the car running, then get it driving, then take it to my friend who is an auto fabricator. He does incredible work and has built many air-ride vehicles in the past. It looks like it might work based on looking at it for about 10 seconds. LOL

I’m guessing that you are doing this because like most of us, you have 50 million other top priorities (like buying a building) that you should be focusing on. :D

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m guessing that you are doing this because like most of us, you have 50 million other top priorities (like buying a building) that you should be focusing on. :D

Yeah, after saying I don't know why I'm doing it I realized I didn't need to explain it to this group. My son is good at reminding me of the projects I have lined up and that I was more excited about those projects when I got them. Very good point. I try to imagine one of my existing projects in front of me as something "new" that I've just seen. I would get all giddy about them.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering about that. in '69 which one was correct? Or was there ever a clear lens? Just faded?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, would it be better if I guilted you into selling me the bags? Lol
I mean, if you're soooooo busy, maybe I can help you out ;)